Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default HP Pavilion with Windows XP - SP2 (5 years old) - Freezing up regularly

I own an HP Pavilion desktop with Windows XP, with SP2 that I've used daily since purchased new in 2006. It's beginning to freeze up regularly to the point it's aggravating. It has an AMD dual core processor, 250GB hard drive, and 1.5GB memory.

This computer has over 90% free space on it's hard drive....used primarily for email and some web surfing. One user...turned off each night. Has Norton antivirus...also use Crap Cleaner, and Spybot, weekly to get rid of junk.

Basically, other than 5 years age, it's like new. No reason that I can determine why it's beginning to freeze up.

QUESTION: Is it possible that the electronics are just getting tired.....and that it's not going to get better? That's the only possible explanation that I can come up with.

Your opinion will be appreciated.

leeanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: HP Pavilion with Windows XP - SP2 (5 years old) - Freezing up regularly

Does the laptop get moved around a lot? Do the intervals between crashes occur more frequently the longer you have been trying to use the unit?

Old 09-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
Beta Member

Default Re: HP Pavilion with Windows XP - SP2 (5 years old) - Freezing up regularly

Thanks for your response....it is a desktop (not laptop), and yes, I believe it tends to freeze up more often after 10 to 20 minutes of use.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

I'm thinking you have an overheating issue... time to blow all that dust out, clean off the heatsinks, and reapply some quality heatsink compound.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:25 AM   #5
BSOD

It's beginning to immobilise up regularly to the tangency it's intensifying. It has an AMD twofold nucleus processor, 250GB velar force, and 1.5GB faculty.

This machine has over 90% unhampered area on it's hard swing....utilised primarily for netmail and few web surfing. One someone...upset off each nighttime. Has Norton antivirus...also use Shite Formulation, and Spybot, weekly to get rid of dispose.

Essentially, else than 5 life age, it's similar new.
frudokan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Beta Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
I'm thinking you have an overheating issue... time to blow all that dust out, clean off the heatsinks, and reapply some quality heatsink compound.

Thanks again for the advise. I've already blown out all the dust.....cleaned it up well, and insured the vent fans are working properly. I did not know about heatsink coumpound..will give that a try. It does overheat - as the fans come on more regularly than in the past.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

Remove the heatsink from the processor, clean all the old gunk off thoroughly, use isopropyl 70%-90% (rubbing alcohol) on both surfaces to clean completely, then use a rice-grain sized dot of thermal transfer compound (I use Arctic Silver 5) in the center of the processor and reinstall the heatsink.

Don't pull the heatsink off and reapply, as that will introduce air bubbles; the pressure introduced by the retainer will be enough to spread the compound thinly across the mating surfaces and ensure a good thermal connection between the two.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
Solid State Member

It's either an overheating issue or could be a hard drive failure. Back up your data, just in case.

pcexpert123 is offline   Reply With Quote