How well does windows defrag and scandisk work?

N00BI3

Baseband Member
Hey,

On my old crappy boxy win 98 machine there seems to be a lot of bad sectors and stuff yadda yadde etc etc so i decide to boot up in command prompt and run scandisk, its taking AGES to complete and now i am questions the efficiency of it? are there any alternatives? and also waht are your guys opinions on defragmentar? alternatives?

the defragmentar always works fine for me but i find the scandisk does nothing... maybe because ive never really had any bad sectors or such. theres a few programs around to improve your pc preformance so google it

as far as defragmentation goes, get diskkeeper. it's awesome and degrags in much shorter times than that of any windows defrag app. i limewired it 2 get it for free >.> as for scandisk idk...it's never fixed any problems for me that i know of but i always scanned with it anyway because i'm paranoied and want my computer running at it's best!

Isnt the 98 defragger pretty slow? I personally use Diskeeper and it works smooth, i've set it to run the background. Actually u can try the free version (it doesnt hve the scheduling features) and upgrade to the full one if u like it.
I also run disk cleanup and chkdsk bfore defrag. (xp)
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207

defragmenting works wonders for your hard drive and overall computer performance. many people don't think it does anything, but believe me it makes a big difference in performance

yea alot of myfriends call me obsessed because sometimes in the middle of a lan party between games of aoe III or something i'll just defrag lol

yes the disk defragmenter on windows 98 is crap. I have an old windoze 98 machine and the disk defrag just sort of stopped working. Now it only runs in safe mode and still i question its ability to actually defragment the hdd.

wood_workur said:
will diskkepper put the sawp file at the front of the hard drive? If not, what defrag programs will do that?
diskeeper will do something with the swap files, i think it does move it 2 the front but if not it's just behind folders. you have to customize how you want it 2 defrag, or it just gets rid of fragments

joepic said:
defragmenting works wonders for your hard drive and overall computer performance. many people don't think it does anything, but believe me it makes a big difference in performance

I second that! Although its an endless debate on whether its worth it or not.
i think its a maintenance task tht ought to be done just like other stuff such as cleanups and scans. Coz a severly fragmented drive can slow cause performance degradation and its not an uncommon situation even for NTFS systems.

Back
Top Bottom