How to use a windows feature??

donetao

Banned
Hi! The forum has gotten boring again. I'm trying to find some thing to liven it up a little. Thought I would start this thread about using windows features.
I have noticed that some members go to photo bucket and other places to attach screen shots! Windows has a great feature and it's very simple to use.
No need for a 3rd party software. Use windows snipping tool. Snip it save as a JPEG, save it where you can find it and attach it to your reply.
Here's a excellent tutorial how to use this Windows tool.
Do you have a tool you use that will help someone?? I have several and this is one of them!:)
Gary!!
How To Take Screenshots With The Snipping Tool In Windows

Attachments

• Capture48.jpg
    Capture48.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Capture49.jpg
    Capture49.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
When you upload an attachment, VB saves it internally. You don't need to host it elsewhere. But it crops and reduces the size of the picture. If you want a bigger picture with finer detail you'll have to host it somewhere and link to it here.

When you upload an attachment, VB saves it internally. You don't need to host it elsewhere. But it crops and reduces the size of the picture. If you want a bigger picture with finer detail you'll have to host it somewhere and link to it here.
Ok Thanks for that info!!
Do you have trouble seeing my attachments?? The snipping tool and JPEG is all I ever use!!:)
Hey setishock! Should I delete all these screen shots?? Is there a limit of how many will be stored or archived ???

Attachments

• Capture48.jpg
    Capture48.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I have never heard of limiting the amount of attachments you can send up. There may be a limit in place as to how many you can shoot up in one post (Post, not thread. Say like 10 at a time.). But not a limit over all.
I can see them just fine.

OK thanks setishock! I was hoping for some more Windows features that members use.
I have some more I like and here's another one. It's not a miracle tool but I find it very useful to watch how my my PC is performing. The best you will ever get is a 10 rating and I find that hard to maintain. Most of the warning are not a big problem and nothing to worry about unless they start happening all the time. Then you might want to get a little alarmed and try to figure out what's going on. I can tell you from experience you will get a lot of Explorer warning. They can be ignored for the most part. I was getting a lot of W10 up dates failing. I stopped the auto-matic up dates and fixed that warning. It's just another tool that might help you keep your PC running at it's peak!!
Reliability Monitor - Windows 7 Help Forums
Reliability Monitor is an advanced tool that measures hardware and software problems and other changes to your computer. It collects 24 hours of data before it displays any results and calculates the stability index that ranges from 1 (the least stable) to 10 (the most stable). You can use the index to help evaluate the reliability of your computer by reviewing the reported application failures, Windows 7 failures, Miscellaneous failures, Warnings, and Information. Any change you make to your computer or problem that occurs on your computer affects the stability index.

Attachments

• Capture48.jpg
    Capture48.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi! How many members have a system repair disc in a drawer. There may come a time when you wish you would have taken the time to burn one. Just another feature that gets ignored and not used!!
Create a System Repair Disc in Windows 7
There's a big difference between a System recovery disc and a system repair disc!
Andy Rathbone » What's the difference between a System Recovery disc and Windows 7's System Repair disc?

I know W7 is old news, but for you people who decided to wait awhile before you upgrade to W10, you really should have a system repair disc in your drawer.

In short, the System Recovery discs return your PC to the state it was when first purchased, scrapping all your data while along the way. The System Repair disc, by contrast, offers tools to help bring your ailing PC back to life, keeping all your valuable files safe.
When in trouble, always try your System Repair disc first, as it may solve your problem. Only use the System Recovery Discs as a last resort, as they wipe out everything you've created since buying your PC.

Attachments

• Capture50.JPG
    Capture50.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I do like the snipping tool built into Windows but at the moment I am using Lightshot at the moment https://app.prntscr.com/en/index.html. Mainly because I participate in a group chat in Skype for a gaming server and its quick and easy to take a screenshot, upload to the interwebs and then paste the link it generates. It has also some neat features like quickly sharing to a social network and even searching Google for similar images.

Hi! How many members have a system repair disc in a drawer. There may come a time when you wish you would have taken the time to burn one. Just another feature that gets ignored and not used!!
Create a System Repair Disc in Windows 7

Nope, I've got bootable USB's with Windows 7/8.1 ready so if I need to use this feature I can boot the USB and navigate to this feature.

Last edited:
Nope, I've got bootable USB's with Windows 7/8.1 ready so if I need to use this feature I can boot the USB and navigate to this feature.
Hi BK that's great and good info and even better than a repair disc, but not everyone does that. I also have the bootable flash drives in a drawer. I skipped W8.1, but I have W7 and W10 on a USB. The repair disc works great however and I have grabbed it a couple of times.
Thanks for your reply BK. It would be great if everyone took the time to do what you did, but then they wouldn't need us. LOL
Do you have any more great tips?? Please add them to this thread. There are some of us old W7 die hards that aren't quite ready for W10
Gary!
PS I'm going to give Lightshot a look!!

Last edited:
OK! How many of you use Windows PSR(Problem Step Recorder) It can be a great tool for trouble shooting or showing grandma how to use a program. The problem is that the forum doesn't allow HTML files and that's what PSR creates. You can convert them to PDF files however and then attach them to your threads. I use Faststone Capture to convert them to PDF. I have attached a couple to my threads, but they didn't draw much attention. Some times my threads are a flop, but I try to keep the forum active. Some times the forum gets a little boring!! LOL
How do I use Problem Steps Recorder?
PS Here's a PSR I made. Just fooling around to show how it works. You can see it captured every click of my mouse. I think it's a cool windows feature, but it doesn't get much attention.
You can use Problem Steps Recorder to automatically capture the steps you take on a computer, including a text description of where you clicked and a picture of the screen during each click (called a screen shot). Once you capture these steps, you can save them to a file that can be used by a support professional or someone else helping you with a computer problem.

Attachments

• ScreenShot00007.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi! It's me again with some more Windows features you may or may not be using.
Don't settle for a slow PC and don't use any 3rd party snake oil programs to optimize your computer. Windows has all the tools you need!
Surely you guys use these Windows features, Why aren't you replying on this thread?? LOL!!
Optimize Windows for better performance - Windows Help

No matter how fast or shiny computers might be when they're new, they all seem to get slower over time. That state-of-the-art PC you bought last year might not feel like such a screamer after you install a dozen programs, load it with antispyware and antivirus tools, and download untold amounts of junk from the Internet. The slowdown might happen so gradually that you hardly notice it, until one day you're trying to open a program or file and wonder, "What happened to my poor PC?"
Whatever the cause, there are lots of ways to help speed up Windows and make your PC work better—even without upgrading your hardware.
Here's a cool feature and it's just waiting for you to use!!
Open the Performance troubleshooter by clicking the Start button
4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg
, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under System and Security, click Check for performance issues.
Here's a real good reason your PC has slowed down!!
A common symptom of a virus is a much slower-than-normal computer performance. Other signs include unexpected messages that pop up on your PC, programs that start automatically, or the sound of your hard disk constantly working.
Spyware is a type of program that's installed, usually without your knowledge, to watch your activity on the Internet. You can check for spyware with Windows Defender or other antispyware programs. For more information, see How to tell if your computer is infected with spyware.
The best way to deal with viruses is to prevent them in the first place. Always run antivirus software and keep it up to date. Even if you take such precautions, however, it's possible for your PC to become infected. For more information, see How can I tell if my computer has a virus?
PS I know all you Geeks know these things, but maybe our guests don't!!! Just trying to earn my keep and make a good hand here!! LOL
Gary!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom