How To Set Legacy Mode In Dell A02 Bios

BK_123

Golden Master
So I've had to install a new hard drive in my Dell Optiplex 210L after my brother decided to take it for another computer. I installed the drive and booted up to my XP USB disk and after it said "Setup is starting Windows" is BSOD 0x0000007B. So I took out the 640GB drive assuming it didn't like the drive so I slapped in a 160GB. After it still appeared I Googled it and apparently XP and sata drives aren't good friends. So after more research I found that I needed to disable ACHI mode and enabled Legacy IDE but I cannot find it in the bios options. If someone could point me in right direction or tell me how to make this possible. Being Dell they have to make it difficult. When I first got it I took out the 80GB it came with and slapped a 500GB in and installed a fresh copy of XP with no troubles. I am trying to install using the same ISO when I did it before and no troubles. http://pcsupport.about.com/b/2009/01/24/stop-0x0000007b-blue-screen-errors.htm

Every BIOS is different. Your might not even be called "Legacy" mode, but rather "IDE" or even "Classic" if it's weird.

The setting you're looking for is usually called "SATA Mode" or SATA/RAID Controller

Ok so let's take a step back then and try to get some additional info here.

You started with a 640GB hard drive plugged in with BIOS set to combination mode. You installed XP onto that hard drive via a USB drive. After successfully installing, you reboot and it cannot continue on. Is that right? So long as the XP installer can see your hard drives then you're past the "doesn't play nice" issues and have what sounds like an issue finding the MBR. What happens if you keep the flash drive in the computer that you installed XP off of?

Back
Top Bottom