Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-27-2006, 01:20 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default How to remove XP setup

i already have windows set up on the laptop.. had some issues and tried running a repair and during the setup it gives me a nice fatal error and stops setup.. now i cant start up the computer cause it always boots up to the set up with the continual fatal error... how do i remove the setup from start up

KillaRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:36 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: How to remove XP setup

i assume your talking about when you boot up there are 2 different things to select from on your operating system selection. if this is the case make sure you know which is which.
click start, right click on my computer and go to properties
click the advanced tab
under "startup and recovery" click setting
another window will pop up and under "system startup" click edit.

under the heading "[operating systems]" delete the line corresponding to the one that has the error and then you won't have to worry about it booting from that anymore. just make sure the "default=multi(0)disk(0)......" matches the stuff before the equals.

like i said, i assume this is what your talking about being you were not very specific with what all you have done and what your problem is.

xtremezx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:28 PM   #3
Baseband Member

i know wut ur talkin about.. i had that problem before... my issue now is, lets say u were installing windows and mid installation something happened and the power went off... everytime u start up the PC itll try to continue the installation, then i get a fatal error and basically was in a cycle of reinstallation attempts and fatal errors.. i couldnt get into windows even by safe mode, it would just log me back out and say its continuing installation.. i think i got it working now but thats wut i was talkin about tell me if u still dont understand wut im talkin about...
Old 11-27-2006, 08:32 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

hmm, well if you can't get to where you can restart the install and reformat again in the windows install. you could make a dos boot disk and make sure you have fdisk on it, fdisk will allow you to delete the partition and then you can start the whole install over again. but xp should let you do that by asking what you want to do when you boot back into the cd.
xtremezx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:08 PM   #5
Baseband Member

yea i got it to repair... i had to use my authentic windows xp cd lol.. i didnt know the repair needed an authentic disk
Old 11-27-2006, 10:38 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

any disc should work, as long as you can boot to it. assuming you mean bought and not burned when you say authentic. I've burned many windows cds (for myself don't worry) and they worked for repairs, as long as it's the same windows version eg: home/pro
crazyman143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:58 PM   #7
Baseband Member

now im still havin the issue which is y i tried to do the repair in the first place... no matter wut i plug into the USB, it always says its unrecognized, ive tried uninstalling the usb root and the universal host but it doesnt rectify the problem.. can anyone help me out wit that issue?
Old 11-28-2006, 05:46 AM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Whats the device that your connecting, chances are ya need to install the drivers for it
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:35 AM   #9
Baseband Member

ive done driver installations it doesnt work... the port doesnt pick up and USB Devices... ive tried with an external HD, a flash drive, my phone, a card reader..

the laptop picked up my phone the other day for like 10 seconds then after i restarted the computer it wouldnt pick anything up again... i thought i had fixed it
Old 11-29-2006, 02:21 AM   #10
Baseband Member

anyone?