How to Partition a drive after XP is installed?

sp_key

Beta member
I'm sorry if this has been asked before. A quick search did not produce any helpful results.

I want to partition my hard drive. The problem is that I do not have the Windows XP disc because Dell (where I bought my PC) did not provide it to me. Instead they gave me a system restore option which restores my system back to the date I bought it. What I need to do is the following:

1. Restore my system back to the good days (as its getting very slow)
2. partition the disc (while xp is already installed on C)
3. Install Ubuntu on the new partition.

I know how to do the system restore part and I believe I will manage to install Ubuntu on the new partition. What I need help with is to partition my drive having XP already installed on it. Until now I have only found out how to partition before instsalling the OS.

Can this be done?

Many thanks in advance.

sp.

So, use the system restore option to restore it back to the "gold old days".

Then boot up your Ubuntu CD. After going through a couple options you'll get to a spot where it'll ask you which partition to use for your install. It'll also give you the option to resize your current partition. Using this, you'll be able to resize your C: and have both Ubuntu and XP installed.

Make sure you back up before, just in case.

What I would recommend that you do is, do the restore like you say you are going to do. After you do that you should turn on the restore option that allows you to save points where the computer updates or whenever you want to create a restore point.

Once that is done, I would recommend that you take a look at gparted. This is a program that allows you to partition your hdd. You should download the livecd iso, and then burn it to a cd.

Cheers!

What I would recommend that you do is, do the restore like you say you are going to do. After you do that you should turn on the restore option that allows you to save points where the computer updates or whenever you want to create a restore point.

Once that is done, I would recommend that you take a look at gparted. This is a program that allows you to partition your hdd. You should download the livecd iso, and then burn it to a cd.

Cheers!

Guys, many thanks for your quick response.

wmorri,

what is the benefit of this procedure over the one suggested by silent1mezzo? Which one is simplest and which one is more efficient?

Many thanks again!

ps: I will download both ubuntu iso and gparted as well.

if dell does not give u a cd, you have to call them to get another cd, they gave me 3, one after another losing them.

sp_key, there really isn't a differnce between my post and the one above it. The only real difference is that if you burn a livecd of gparted you can have it with you at all times as supposed to having to be in your linux partition to partition your hdd. Plus you can take it to a friends house if they ever need help with partitioning.

Cheers!

sp_key, there really isn't a differnce between my post and the one above it. The only real difference is that if you burn a livecd of gparted you can have it with you at all times as supposed to having to be in your linux partition to partition your hdd. Plus you can take it to a friends house if they ever need help with partitioning.

Cheers!

Don't forget that with gparted, you have more formatting options, not just the ones that linux can read/write to like you would with the linux CD.

Back
Top Bottom