How much is my computer worth?

Chris_

Beta member
Hello, I have recently decided that i want to sell my current laptop to have funds to upgrade to a desktop computer or a more powerful laptop for gaming. I would appreciate if someone could give me a rough estimated price thanks.

Here are the specs:

- Lenovo Z580 ideapad
- A few years old but does not suffer from any performance loss or damage.
- Windows 8
- Intel Core I7-3520m CPU 2.90ghz
- 6GB RAM
- 64 bit operating system and processor
- Intel HD 4000 graphics card

If there is any more specifications needed just let me know thanks.

Like a car, it deprecates 1/3 the face value the first time you turn it on. After a year another 1/3 and after that you take what you can get for it or just keep it.

If it's clean and doesn't look warn you should be able to get $350-400 for it but why do it. That laptop with a little work could be really quick with 16 gb memory and installing an Ssd drive that will smoke most of the competition and you couldn't buy it set up that way under $1000 anyway.

If it's clean and doesn't look warn you should be able to get $350-400 for it but why do it. That laptop with a little work could be really quick with 16 gb memory and installing an Ssd drive that will smoke most of the competition and you couldn't buy it set up that way under $1000 anyway.

I have a four year old dell speeding along after I doubled the ram to 8gb and installed an ssd. It has an older second gen i3 but this thing flies. Definitely go with what Rich suggests and upgrade it with an SSD. Makes a world of difference.

The problem is that adding more RAM and switching to an ssd won't improve the laptop's graphics capability which is the part that is very important for gaming which is what the OP said he wants to be able to do.

I agree that around $350 is a good asking price.

Personally, if I wanted a gaming machine I would stick with a desktop. A laptop's design requires compromises in order to keep it light and portable that make it difficult to get the performance required for gaming at a reasonable price. A desktop is much more customizable to get the desired gaming performance.

Good point strollin. I would just upgrade your laptop and get a desktop as your gaming rig. Best way to go unless you absolutely need your gaming rig to be mobile.

I could not agree more but I assumed there was a reason a laptop was in use for this as we all know it is not the best for gaming.

First google search leads me to this laptop in great condition for $299. This is the type of laptop I would pay $225 for onsale on newegg. I'm sorry to say, but weighing in that it is old, ( 4 years in technology is old ) used, and you are a private seller, you'd be lucky to get $250, if that. Remember you have selling fees if you get on any website other than craigslist. It's pointless to sell the laptop really... Just IMO, good luck :)

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

Also, the laptop has an I5 2.5 Ghz, Not an I7.

Nikon, the Z580 part of the name is the model series and not the specific model, so there may well have been a version with an i5 chip, but in this case the OP had the version with an i7 chip (which would also have been more expensive than the i5 variant)

Back
Top Bottom