How to load desktop before logging in

NoThankYou

Beta member
Hey guys,

I'm new here and could really use some help figuring this out. I'm not that good with computers, but it's only logical for my computer to be able to load my desktop before I login. Even if that means opening a custom login screen after starting up my computer.

The reason I'd like to do this is because I only have one user account on this computer, but I'd still like to be secure by requiring a password.

I've looked this up and unfortunately there's a lot of different instructions on how to achieve this. The problem is that most of them report not being able to work on Windows 7 Home Premium. While I've heard that there are ways to make it work, no one mentions all steps in full, which is frustrating for an amateur as myself.

Could anyone tell me exactly what I need to do to make my computer load my desktop before I login/enter a password? I'm surprised I couldn't find any third party programs to enable this.

Thanks a lot!

Hey guys,

I'm new here and could really use some help figuring this out. I'm not that good with computers, but it's only logical for my computer to be able to load my desktop before I login. Even if that means opening a custom login screen after starting up my computer.

The reason I'd like to do this is because I only have one user account on this computer, but I'd still like to be secure by requiring a password.

I've looked this up and unfortunately there's a lot of different instructions on how to achieve this. The problem is that most of them report not being able to work on Windows 7 Home Premium. While I've heard that there are ways to make it work, no one mentions all steps in full, which is frustrating for an amateur as myself.

Could anyone tell me exactly what I need to do to make my computer load my desktop before I login/enter a password? I'm surprised I couldn't find any third party programs to enable this.

Thanks a lot!

Im confused ? why would you want to do this ? Cant you just put a password on the account ? :confused:

Im confused ? why would you want to do this ? Cant you just put a password on the account ? :confused:
Because this way I can turn on my computer, take a shower/make lunch/etc. and come back with my desktop completely loaded. Which saves a lot of time compared to having to wait till I can login.

It takes like 3 minutes...what kind of computer do you have that you have time to take a shower while it loads?

I'm also confused what you want to do. You want it to boot up, load windows, but still be locked? Try sleep mode and password protect the account...

It does only take like 3 minutes, which is a lot to me considering I use it every day.

Sleepmode is a waste of batteries and my computer becomes slower when it has been in sleepmode.

Here's what I'm trying to do, my issue being that it doesn't seem to work for Home Premium:
'http://lifehacker.com/5645098/make-windows-load-your-desktop-before-you-log-in

Try this:

Press Windows + R
Launch: regedit
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Double click DefaultUserName and enter your username in the "Value data:" field
Double click DefaultPassword and enter your password in the "Value data:" field
Close regedit

Press Windows + R
Launch: cmd
Copy and paste this:
Code:
echo rundll32 user32.dll,LockWorkStation >> %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\lock.bat

Note: Your password is open to anyone who gets on that computer and starts poking around...

Last edited:
That's why you logon and then Windows+L key to lock it, that way the desktop is loaded ready for you to use..

Try this:

Press Windows + R
Launch: regedit
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Double click DefaultUserName and enter your username in the "Value data:" field
Double click DefaultPassword and enter your password in the "Value data:" field
Close regedit

Press Windows + R
Launch: cmd
Copy and paste this:
Code:
echo rundll32 user32.dll,LockWorkStation >> %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\lock.bat
Note: Your password is open to anyone who gets on that computer and starts poking around...
Thanks mate, but for some reason I do not have 'DefaultPassword' in that list.

Back
Top Bottom