how large a hard drive

CarpeNoctem said:
Ok, my HD is a 160 gig western digital. It is reading at 127gig with NTFS partition and I am using XP Pro. What can I do to fix this?

Open up Disk Management (right click "My Computer" then select "Manage" then find the Disk Management Snap-In on your left hand side) Check on the stats on your 160gig HD.....If there's a section there thats listed as "Unallocated Space and/or unpartioned space" (or something along those lines) you'll need to partition that space..The only problem is that it won't be added on your existing Logical Drive....it'll be created under a new one...(I.E. you'll have two hard drives listed under "My Computer")

If want to have one partition, you'll need to repartition the whole drive using all 180gigs.....Doing so means you'll have reinstall windows and all other goodies you have....In some cases you'll have two partitions already set...one for your OS and then another one labeled as "System State". Some manufactors ship their computers like that for system recoveries....But in your case i doubt thats the reason why, it would be too big of a partition....Regardless it's not nessessary...You can remove that partition and then go thru the same process as stated above (Repartitioning the whole drive).

**Remember partitioning your HD will cause you to lose all data! Make sure you back up whatever it is that's important to you!!**

Back
Top Bottom