How to keep computer from rebooting after exiting bios?

aPanzerIV

Daemon Poster
I have a very odd problem with an old ibm aptiva i picked up, and it isnt the only one with this problem.

It will only boot from one disk that i have normally: sucky windows 98

I was messing around in bios, told it to save and exit, and IT DIDN'T REBOOT!
Instead, it booted LIKE IT SHOULD, it read the cdrom, and started booting to NT 4.0, which still wasn't what I wanted on it.

After about 3 hours, I recreated the effect again with windows XP, except the disk was so scratched up that it couldn't read a file and it failed.

I burned another, but I can't get it to do that again.

What am I doing *RIGHT* thats causing it to not reboot after exiting bios, because if I just boot it up normally, it ignores the CD and tries booting off the HDD (sucky windows 98) even though i have priority set to cd.

If i remove the hdd, it asks me to insert a floppy, which it doesnt even have!?!?!

Also, the same thing occurs on my gramp's 701CS, if you screw around in the bios enough, it will eventually boot to windows 95 if it DOES NOT REBOOT AFTER EXIT.

It is not the cmos or cmos battery, even though the one in the 701CS is dead, i replaced the one in the aptiva with a NEW ONE.

any help?

Try F11 or F12, on boot up, or whatever it says to tap for 'Boot priorities' or 'Boot Order,' 'Boot Selection' or similar
My guess is, you didn't go into the BIOS, you just went into this boot selection, clicked enter, and it booted off what you asked it to.

I managed to figure it out.

I DID get into bios, and all the priorities are set up.

It happens when I enter bios, and exit without saving.

it doesn't reboot, it continues booting, and from the cd.

Got windows XP on it. No ahcip or whatever mode on it, but this thread is not about bios updates, lol.

I'll see if the same thing works on the 701CS.

Back
Top Bottom