How do you patch a Linux Computer?

ladykiller1

Baseband Member
Hello all in the Computer Forums world.
I need to write a paper for a class I'm in about how Linux computers are patched. I have to explain how these procedures differ from patching a Windows computer. For example, whether patching in Linux is easier than patching in Windows. And so on.
I did a search and found an enormous post by Seveswaldo entitled "Information on Linux Servers". Unfortunatelly, I didn't find anything that said how it was done or how it compares to windows.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)
Thanks!
Craig

well, it depends on the distro.
But at least with kubuntu you just open the update program and it gets you the list of available updates. The updates aren't only security stuff, but also updates for some of the programs installed. Of course you can choose which updates you want to download and install. Also remember that you NEVER have to reboot your computer after getting updates, unlike windows where you have to reboot almost every time.

So overall it's pretty similar to what win XP has.
But as I said it probably varies by distro. I'm sure someone who is currently on linux (I don't have linux on this pc anymore) can post a few screenshots of their update program or make a more detailed explanation of how it works.

Like mammikoura said, it all depends on the distro. Assuming you're on about installing updates, then this is how you do it on Ubuntu studio.

This is the standard screen
Screenshot.png

From here you select System > Administration > Update Manager.
You will then be presented with the update manager screen.
Update Manager
Screenshot-1-1.png

All you do from here is click check and the OS will check for any available updates, then you just need to click install updates and the OS will do the rest. HTH.:)

well, it depends on the distro.
But at least with kubuntu you just open the update program and it gets you the list of available updates. The updates aren't only security stuff, but also updates for some of the programs installed. Of course you can choose which updates you want to download and install. Also remember that you NEVER have to reboot your computer after getting updates, unlike windows where you have to reboot almost every time.

So overall it's pretty similar to what win XP has.
But as I said it probably varies by distro. I'm sure someone who is currently on linux (I don't have linux on this pc anymore) can post a few screenshots of their update program or make a more detailed explanation of how it works.

Yeah right about never having to reboot after *nix updates, I have had to do it quite a bit.

you can also just open up termanal (linux equivalent to command prompt) and type:

Code:
sudo apt-get update

I've only worked with Ubuntu extensively. You should definitely use Ubuntu in your paper, its the closest GNU alternative to windows that can go head to head in user convenience and support.

-sam

Back
Top Bottom