How Do You Image Computers In Your Workplace?

BK_123

Golden Master
Hey guys. So I am just interested as to how everyone's workplace images their machines. At my school we use an open source software called FOG fogproject.org that is controlled via a web interface on a portable server running Linux. We used to have an old machine in each classroom on the server rack or in the corner of the room but only a few rooms now have that. We mainly use it reimage our desktops that are stored in the support center that teachers can use for a class or practicals.

Hey guys. So I am just interested as to how everyone's workplace images their machines. At my school we use an open source software called FOG fogproject.org that is controlled via a web interface on a portable server running Linux.

+100000000000

I setup a FOG (Free Open-source Ghost) at my job when I got here. It's the best thing I've ever done. I run it on Ubuntu.

Forgive me for grave-digging but I just want to share our little portable FOG server. We have a HP Microserver that is being fixed due to problems so we currently use an ole HP Probook 6450B for our portable FOG server that we got donated. The computer on the right which is a HP Compaq Pro 6000 Small Form Factor (Also donated) I am currently preparing a new Windows 8.1 Enterprise image for and this will replace the current 2 PC's on front desk for our Student IT Support Centre and we have a stack full which were also donated. Nearly every classroom has a dedicated FOG server with an image for the PC's in that room but the portable one is very handy and is equipped with a 24 port gigabit switch which makes and uploading downloading images super fast.

Don't mind the messy cables on the carousel of PC's :whistling:

N8f5gMr.jpg

f6W3Cts.jpg

The school that I went to had an extreamly interesting trick, and I am still not completely sure how they did it.

All of the computers seemed to be networked to one server. And I do mean ALL. Every machine in the school. The reason that I say this is because all that you had to do is sit down in front of any computer in the school, type in your Username/Password, and all of your files where in place. You couldnt install anything, they where not running any sort of security, and even if you changed the wallpaper it was changed back between sessions. As far as I know, that school never had a single security problem. Ever.

Oh, and the school had mixed classrooms. Some running Windows, others running Mac, depending on the needs of the classroom according to software. Using photoshop in a web mastering class? Mac. Running CAD? Windows. No matter what, you could log in to any machine with the same information, and your files (from any class) would always be where you expected them to be.

I have a few theroies as to how they did this, but I have never been able to replicate the results on Virtual Machines so I am not completely sure.

Any ideas?

P.S. I dont mean to hijack the thread BK_123, this just reminded me of that setup and I have been wanting to ask this question for a while.

The computers were being used as terminals off the server. Your account followed you not the terminal. So when you logged in the server read the log in and the terminal it was coming from and adjusted your package to fit the terminal.

Back
Top Bottom