How do I set SATA controller to operate in AHCI mode?

You set AHCI mode of the SATA controller in the BIOS of your machine. You need to check and see if it's already in AHCI mode and, if it is, then you're good.

However, if the machine is not currently set to AHCI and you change it, the system will no longer boot from the currently installed OS. You will need to leave the SATA controller mode as is, boot the machine and make a change in the registry, then reboot the machine, enter the BIOS and then change the SATA controller mode.

Once you have the machine booting in AHCI mode, then you can proceed to migrate to the ssd as you have planned.

Here are the instructions for how to modify the registry: How to Switch from IDE to AHCI without repairing/reinstalling windows - A Collection of Essential Guides - Neowin Forums

I had read the same thing but I could not find msahci in my Win 10 registry computer. Now I found this info: StorAHCI, a Storport miniport, supports serial advanced technology attachment (SATA) advanced host controller interface (AHCI) controllers in Windows, and replaces MSAHCI, an ATAport miniport. https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3hu98r/missing_msahci_from_registry/ So if SATA controller is not in AHCI mode I dont know what to do(I'm doing this for a friend &
I dont have the computer yet ), If SATA controller is in AHCI mode then I can migrate to the SSD as planned.

Back
Top Bottom