How do I prevent startup, overnight

papernpaste

Beta member
I've dealt with this issue for a year, attempting different things to prevent my computer from being found running in the morning.
This is happening on my Dell desktop. I don't like it. I am a privacy freak. I don't like auto-updates and, even though I usually (almost always) allow the updates to windows 10, now that I know that the government is working in consort with Microsoft to spy on everyone, I get annoyed when I find my computer running in the morning when I know I shut it down at night. I even have unplugged it at night before going to bed...of course, that works but, I want it off in the morning, when I shut it off in the evening.
What is going on? Why do I find it booted and running in the morning? I have attempted to search for answers without results. Thanks for any replies.
(I'm not savvy with writing and changing scripts. I don't know python or any other computer languages.)
PS. I do run Classic Shell because I don't want to use apps on my desktop. Again, this decision is a result of my suspicions that apps are a weak link that might be exploited by someone outside my house or my ISP.
I really have nothing to hide but, that, in my opinion is a piss poor excuse to NOT resist government or anyone else's intrusion. Call me crazy. I don't care. I just want my computer off when I return in the morning to boot it.

Just confirming that you are actually 'shutting down' at night, and not restarting right?

If you are shutting down, you might check your bios settings. iirc, there's something in there about powering up after a power outage, and something about wake on lan. Try turning those off and see if that helps. those are the only two things i know of that can power a computer back on after it's been turned off.

If you're doing a full Windows shutdown (as opposed to sleep) Windows should not be able to boot the system. I trust that this is the case, so I'm ruling it out.

The next most likely culprit is that you have enabled a bios setting to wake the computer on mouse, keyboard, or LAN. Keyboard is unlikely, but the slightest shift in your mouse (upstairs neighbors jumping? a cat?) could wake the computer if this setting is enabled. There could be another device on your LAN causing it to wake on LAN. Check your BIOS settings for anything along those lines, it'll be worded slightly differently depending on the BIOS.

Thank you.
It, in fact, IS starting at night after a complete shut down. I'll attempt to navigate to the BIOS settings and see what can be adjusted.
Best Regards.

You could try disabling "Fast Startup" here are some instructions I found online on how to do so:

1. Hold windows key and press "R"
  2. Type Control Panel in the Run box.
  3. Click Power Options.
  4. Click Choose what the power buttons do.
  5. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
  6. Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup.
  7. Click Save changes.

fast startup works by not completely powering down the machine. It places it in a low power mode so it boots faster.

Back
Top Bottom