How To Do This?

Prodigy93

Baseband Member
Im not sure if this goes in this section but I did not know where else to put it.

Can someone explain to me how to do the bulleted list on the left side there?

:D
Code:
http://i33.tinypic.com/w0sx9t.gif
:D

For anyone who is wondering here is how

THIS IS pd!'s TUTORIAL FROM THE WAR FORUMS

You all are asking for the XML desktop. The link is below. But here is what it is for those of you that don't know:
http://patrickdoherty.net/desktops/xmldesktop.bmp

Basically, it's a XML document that you use to replace icons and use links so to speak. But there are a lot of tricky parts to setting it up. This is where I will explain it with the help of falco as he asked questions on how to set it up. I'm going to copy paste the readme, and make some changes, which you will see in bold.

· Go to Start » Run, type in regedit and click ok.
· Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0.
· Double click on the "FLAGS" dword, change it to decimal, type in 71, and click ok.
· Close regedit and open Internet Explorer
· Go to tools » internet options » security tab.
· If you don't have a "My Computer" security zone, reboot and come back. Ignore the reboot part. Just use the “Local Intranet” icon instead. Worked fine for me.
· Highlight the "My Computer" zone icon. See Above
· Click "Custom Level".
· Under "ActiveX Controls and plug-ins", change "Download signed ActiveX controls to "Enable".
· Change Automatic prompting for ActiveX control to "Disabled"
· Change "Download unsigned ActiveX controls" to "Enable".
· Change "Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe" to "Enable".
· Change "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" to "Enable".
· Change "Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting" to "Enable".
· Click "Ok", "Apply", and "Ok".

These changes only affect the security settings for your local computer and not settings for internet websites. Internet website settings are located under "Internet Security Zone".

If you don't want icons on your desktop (which many people don't), it's pretty simple. Go to your desktop. Right click and select "Arrange Icons by" and un-check "Show desktop icons". It will remove all your icons/shortcuts from the desktop.

Finally, here are the steps to actually getting this script placed on your desktop.
· If you don't want icons on your desktop (which many people don't) read this step. If you do want icons, skip this step. Click "Ok" to take you back to your desktop. Right click and select "Active Desktop" and un-check "Show Desktop Icons". Bye bye icons. Go back to the web tab in the desktop properties.
· First, right click on your desktop and go to Properties » Desktop » Customize » Web
· If "My Current Homepage" is checked, un-check it.
· Click on the "New" button.
· Click "Browse", navigate to the folder where you extracted all this stuff, click on "desktop.htm", click "Open", click "Ok", and click "Ok" to close your display settings.

You should now have a small box with the script in it somewhere on your desktop. Go to the top edge of that box, and a tool bar should come up. Click on the icon on the top/left corner and click on "Cover Desktop". If everything was done correctly, you should now see an awesome active desktop script! Click on "Edit" and have fun.

When changing the Document Path you MUST use /(forward slash) instead of \ (back slash)

Heres a little more to the above instructions:

Preliminary stuff to do
1. Turn off your wallpaper. To do this, right-click on the desktop, then click Properties. Go to the Desktop tab, and under the wallpaper menu, highlight "None." Then press "OK."
2. If you don't want icons on your desktop, right-click on the desktop again, this time choosing "Arrange Icons By" and un-check "Show Desktop Icons." This will make sure your desktop is clean.
3. Open your C:\ drive and create a new folder called "Desk". Right now the directory should read "C:\Desk".
(Actually, you can put it anywhere, this is just an example.)
4. Go in the readme file and find out how to stop the security popups.
(This is the essential step many people don't do. The entire desktop won't work if you don't do this step.)

Installing
1. Unzip ss_desktop_v2.zip (or whatever version you downloaded) to the C:\Desk folder
2. Right-click on the desktop, click Properties, and click the Desktop tab again. This time, push the "Customize Desktop" button. Click the "Web" tab, then the "New" button.
3. Click "Browse," then navigate to "C:\Desk\desktop.htm"
(Or where ever you put it.)
4. Make sure the box next to the file path is checked, then click "OK" till you're back to your desktop.

This is what you should see for now
http://patrickdoherty.net/desktops/first.jpg

5. Now you need to maximize the box. To do so, mouse over the part that is active desktop till you get the tool bar at the top, and then maximize it as you would with any window.

This what you should see now
http://patrickdoherty.net/desktops/second.jpg

Now, the basic part of this is pretty much done. You can change the wallpaper if you want by clicking on the "Wallpaper" button (middle left). Just browse till the one you want and than click "Set Wallpaper"

Editing

XML is very easy to edit, it's just like HTML. Just make sure you make a backup of the last working files you had so that if you screw up, you can always go back to those.
When you do a change, and you see how it looks on your desktop, just save the file and then go back to your desktop. Then you just have to press F5 to refresh it (if it's long sometimes, it's because of the weather object box. It's a nice feature but it can get annoying since sometimes, the page where it gets it data from is quite slow. Personally, I deleted that to make my desktop refresh faster)

Menu Editing

To edit the menus and the position of the things on the screen, you need to open the xml file named "Editme"

It will look like this
http://patrickdoherty.net/desktops/third.jpg

First thing you will want to do is to change all the links in there to fit you computer.
Just look around to find each menu (My computer – Network – Programs – Games). Under the one you want, edit the link I was using to those you want. On each line, you have the link and the name that will show on your desktop. You can add or remove as many lines has you want.

If you want to remove a menu, just delete it from where it start to where it end.
Like if you want to remove the Network menu, you need to delete from:
Code:

<menu name="network"> <title>Network</title> <font class="bullet">• </font> <folder path="//network_computer1"> Net Comp 1 </folder><br/> <font class="bullet">• </font> <folder path="//network_computer2"> Net Comp 2 </folder><br/> <font class="bullet">• </font> <folder path="//network_computer3"> Net Comp 3 </folder><br/> </menu>

Each menu start with
Code:

<menu name=”menunamegoeshere”>
To </menu>

Just do the opposite if you want to add one.

If you want to add a menu at a different place on your desktop, you will have to play with those commands too. (The number are just too determine the position)
Code:

<section right="400" bottom="200"> </section>

Just notice the whole menu on the left is build under one <section> while the calendar and the notepad are in another one. Personally, I split every menu in a <section> so that I can move them around the screen to where I want.

Color Editing

To edit the color, you will need to open the other Editme file. This is where you will have to edit to change the color of the things. The only color that is not in there is the one for the black line you see separating each menu. To edit this color, you need to go back to the other editme file.

You will find those 3 lines between each menu:
Code:

<dot width="100%" height="5" color="transparent"/> <dot width="100%" height="3" color="#000000"/> <dot width="100%" height="3" color="transparent"/>

Just change the middle one value to change the color of the line

Like you would use this for a white line:
Code:

<dot width="100%" height="3" color="rgb(255,255,255)"/>

Now for the other colors
I'll just right down basically what each value is linked too

* TD: The weather color
* a:link, a:visited, a:active: The programs name color, the recycle and the wallpaper color
* textarea: The color of the notepad
* othercolor: The color of the bracket [ ]
* bullet: The color of the dots before each program's name.
* title: The menus names color

Then you have the calendar_ stuff and the clock_ stuff. Those are pretty self explanatory.

Anyway, this is all I could thing of for now. If you have questions or if something is not clear, just ask. You can find me here, in #pedoh or #team.GFX =]

Enjoy

Here's the download link:

http://patrickdoherty.net/desktops/XML Desktop.rar

Back
Top Bottom