Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-11-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to 88
Default Help! Windows! No!

Well, it doesn't surprise me. I know the windows operating system does this all the time to people but i dont know how to fix cause it hasnt happened to me until now. What i've got is the problem where windows XP won't shutdown or restart and even won't go into standby. I go to start > turn off computer > then hit either one of the 3 buttons (standby, turn off, restart) and it just goes back to the desktop and nothing happens. But say if I try to open firefox or something then it tells me that there was an error opening firefox because the computer is in the shutdown process. So in that case I would leave it to see if it will ever shutdown and it doesnt. I can leave it all night in that state and it wont do anything.

This problem just started spontaneously. It could be a driver compatibility issue but I can't remember which driver I might have installed to cause this. The last one was the drivers for my soundcard, but i think it would shutdown after i installed those. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lsung!
88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
Solid State Member

Send a message via AIM to PCRepairer Send a message via MSN to PCRepairer
Default Re: Help! Windows! No!

Maybe you have spyware issues??

PCRepairer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:52 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

ive heard of bad sound files causing shutdown problems but not sure if that is at all related. i would try a repair installation of xp
Old 04-11-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCRepairer
Maybe you have spyware issues??
I ran a spyware scan and a virus scan. Came up with nothing. I think that after I installed the audio drivers that it was still shutting down ok. I can't remember for sure tho.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
In Runtime

Go to the computer cleanup guide in this forum, one thing before that, check what process' are running when your trying to shut down, and also run msconfig and uncheck all unnescessary things, because things running in the backround that just WONT shut down can cause that problem, if you do a search on clean up guide, it should pop up with one, i forget who made it, but its really good quality!
Old 04-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Yeah i've done all those things that are in the guide. The one thing i havent checked as you said, is what's still running when i go to shutdown, but suspect it wont show me much. I'll report back on that one.

**** Well i tried to check but it wont let me control-alt-delete to see what's still running after i have hit the shutdown button. I did also check before i hit the shutdown button and there is nothing. There is also nothing out of the ordinary in msconfig. I think it might be some sort of driver conflict.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #7
In Runtime

No check in the processes tab, there may not be anything right in front of you running, but checking in the processes will allow you to see if there is anything running in the backround, heres a screenshot of what i have in the backround with nothing that i dont need or use frequently, so from what i know (: theres no unescessary system processes running, but obviously you have a different comp than me, but you can use this as somewhat of a guide if you would like.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:21 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Did that, nothing out of the ordinary. I checked all the processes with www.fileresearchcenter.com.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:23 PM   #9
In Runtime

Ill be honest, im fresh out of ideas ... Sorry Dude.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:29 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

lol that's alright, maybe things will work themselves out over time lol, that's about the only thing to rely on at this point. As an added note though, i did a shutdown again just yesterday and although it took about 5 minutes, my computer actualy shut down that time. I wish i knew what was holding it up...