Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-25-2016, 01:51 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default help with Windows 10 upgrade please.

I am attempting to upgrade my laptop from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 (The free upgrade).

I have the O/S on a USB stick and have changed the boot order so that it boots from the USB. I then get a screen requesting which language I want plus the time and currency format required and also the keyboard details.

Everything seems to go along nicely and I get a screen come up showing the following :-
Copying Windows files
Getting files ready for installation
Installing Features
Installing updates
Getting finished

I am sat watching the progress and item two gets to 100% and then a few minutes later the screen goes blank and then I am back at the screen requesting language etc. This has happened three times and the whole process seems to be going round in a never ending circle.

Does anyone have any ideas on this please? many thanks.

bluenose1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:35 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: help with Windows 10 upgrade please.

Try removing the USB drive so that it will continue to load from the hard drive. It needs to boot from the hard drive for the last phases of installation.

For future reference- just use the Windows Media Creation Tool to perform a windows 10 upgrade.

crazyman143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyman143 View Post
Try removing the USB drive so that it will continue to load from the hard drive. It needs to boot from the hard drive for the last phases of installation.

For future reference- just use the Windows Media Creation Tool to perform a windows 10 upgrade.
Yes I did use the Media Creation tool for the upgrade.

I will try as you suggest re the hard drive. Thank you
Old 04-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Apologies, for some reason I figured you were using something else. Either way, try removing the flash drive and see if the process will continue.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:40 AM   #5
Golden Master

When I've done the free upgrade, I've started it from within Windows and once its started it should automatically reboot at every stage without requiring changes made in the bios.
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:14 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Don't feel too bad, I've done this before now without thinking, as crazyman mentioned, it's just the installation starting up again from scratch because it's booting from the USB drive again... with DVDs you don't tend to get this problem as you normally get a prompt saying "Press any key to boot up from DVD..." or something like that, no such luck with USB sticks!

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
When I've done the free upgrade, I've started it from within Windows and once its started it should automatically reboot at every stage without requiring changes made in the bios.
When upgrading, you start the process from within Windows, when doing a clean install you boot from DVD or USB.

OP - If you're wanting to upgrade your laptop as you stated, don't change the boot order to boot from USB as 1st choice, keep it as boot from hdd as 1st choice. Also, boot into Windows and then plug in the USB and run the installer from the USB drive.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:19 AM   #8
In Runtime

I have done a clean install and all seems to be working just fine. Thank you to all who have helped. It really is very much appreciated.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #9
In Runtime

Further to my last post #8 above. All is not as well as I thought. I am now getting a message that is telling me to "Activate Windows" and to go to settings in order to do this. When I go into settings it is telling me that "Activation failed because this device doesn't have a valid digital entitlement or product key. error Code 0x803F7001.

The laptop came with Windows 7 Ultimate preloaded. I have installed Windows 10 Pro, does that make a difference?

Anyone know where I go from here please. The only disks that I have are the four disks that I prepared after buying the laptop, i.e. the recovery disks.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:35 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

The upgrade path from windows 7 Ultimate should be Windows 10 Pro. Have you tried entering the product key you have for windows 7? It should accept the key. If not you may need to call the microsoft activation phone number for help.