Help with upgrading to Windows XP!

Fernando1378

Baseband Member
Well yesterday I tried to upgrade my computer from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home Edition. Everything was running fine, but when it was done installing, it wouldn't really work. As soon as I turned on the computer and opened IE (this didn't only happen with IE, but any other program as well), a window would pop up saying a certain program stopped working unexpectedly. I can't remember the full name of the program, but i remember it was somewhere along the lines of 'system32' or '32dll'. Then it said it the computer was gonna shut down and restart in 1 minute.

Anybody know what could have caused this? I tried the 'repair' option and reinstalled it and everything, but still no go

***UPDATE***

I just finished trying to install it again, and this is what happened. As soon as it was finished installing, it restarted itself, then a window pops up saying:

"The Logon User Interface DLL msgina.dll failed to load.
Contact your system administrator to replace the DLL, or restore the original DLL"

It then restarts normally, and after a minute or so, a window pops up saying C:\WINDOWS\System32\lsass.exe stopped working unexpectedly. It said it's status code was-073741819

Under that it said; This shutdown was initiated by NT Authority/System. After that I restarted a few times to see if the problem would go away, but it didn't, so I just uninstalled it. Now when I turn on my computer (back with my windows 98) a pop up says "A required .DLL file, WMICORE.DLL, was not found". It seems the pc works regularly though..Anybody have any clue how I can fix this?

are you doing an upgrade from a cd? How did you get the upgrade? did you download it?, or was it bought?

i would just use the system restore disk, and install the Os from that. It should be the driver's cd.

1st change the boot option in bios to boot from the cd drive,put it so that the cd drive is 1st,floppy 2nd,harddrive 3rd, then use the cd with the driver's on it, and use the system restore option.

Yeah, the Windows XP is on a CD and it was bought. When I say upgrade I mean I'm upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows XP. Is the system restore disk the one that came with my computer when I bought it? Because if it is, I can't seem to find it :(

Back
Top Bottom