help needed to speed up Windows XP

iamroot

Daemon Poster
I have an older computer which is a dual-boot, running Windows XP and Fedora Core 5. I have found Windows on that computer to be getting slower and slower and it takes next to forever to boot up. FC5 doesn't have any speed problems and runs just fine.

I tried running Homeworld 2 on the system and it was so laggy that I got echoes from the in-game voices. This game worked fine a couple of months ago with no lag whatsoever. Normally I would just reinstall Windows but I don't want to go through the hassle of backing up all my data. Is there any way I can speed Windows up other than defragging, which doesn't seem to do any good?

I had the exact same problem. I was dual booting Windows and SuSE Linux and windows just kept getting slower, and slower, and slower... eventually I just stopped using windows : ), but later I found out my hard drive was bad so that was probably the reason. Anyway, check out this link. It may help!

just clean your system of viruses and spyware and any other general crap, then uninstall programs you dont want. then delete files you dont want and use classic theme instead of the xp one. whats the spec of your pc?

Do what Dude1234 said. Also try getting these programs to help speed things up a little bit.
FreeRAM Xp Pro- This program cleans the clutter out of the memory and can help you get the most of your RAM.
CCleaner (crap cleaner)- this program is great for cleaning out unused and old registry files as well as other stuff. I use it and it helps to get the crap out of there just as it says :)
Startup Control Panel- Works basically like MSCONFIG but it can be run from the control panel. This program is great and it helps you remove startup entries from your system. It's only a few KB (yes KB :) ) and it's very simple to use.

Also go to control panel and then go to system and go to "advanced" and then under performance go to "settings" and then click "adjust for best performance." It will use the classic theme but also adjust some stuff to make it work quicker.

Hope that helps,
Troy

EDIT: I forgot to add that you can get all those programs from download.com and they're all free!

iamroot said:
Thanks for the help guys! The software recommended did help speed Windows up a bit.
No problem, I'm glad I could help a little bit. If you ever need anymore help don't hesitate to ask :)

Back
Top Bottom