[Help Needed] Format PC and Install Win7

Silvalite

Baseband Member
Hey - I have recently bought a new PC because my old one keep crashing. My new PC came with Windows 7 but also came with a windows 7 disc. I want to format my old PC and see if it doesnt crash. If it doesn't I would like to reinstall windows. Could I use that disc that came with my new pc?

Pre-built pc's have the os disc customized to the model computer it came with. Besides one installation, one key.

There's always ways around this :)

So the CD that came with the new PC, you can use it as long as it is the same Manufacturer as your old PC (e.g. both HP or both Dell). As far as the key goes, you can't (as Seti pointed out) use the key on your new PC to install Windows on the new PC. Those are OEM keys and can only be activated on one PC.

Some advice for the old PC, wipe it clean. Use a program like DBAN to completely nuke the drive before you install Windows again. Windows has this awesome habit of reusing bad system files even after it 'formats' the drive, because it doesn't really format anything.

Ok cool thanks for the help. On my new PC, it has never asked me for a product key, and when it said to register my windows, I did it without using the key. Does this mean I will be able to use that same disc on my old PC? Sorry if you have already said that - I may have just mis-interpreted it :)

Back
Top Bottom