Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-13-2005, 09:43 AM   #1
Solid State Member
Default Help! Moving to a new computer

Hi, I've got my Dell laptop here with all the fun files and programs I've accumulated over the years.. but now, it is time to enter the world of supreme 32 bit computing (couldn't afford 64 bit, but that won't become needful for a few years yet). I just ordered a Sony Vaio desktop with pretty specs, and now I want to move my files and programs to that computer.

Google searches turned up results for Move Me, and Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. Neither of these will work for me because I want to transfer just SOME of my programs. I can do the files myself, no prob, but I know I can't just copy the program folders and be done with it, so the problem lies in the registry. I need to know how to find each registry key for a specific program and copy them into the registry on my new computer. Please help.

Note: old computer is running WinXP home edition SP1, and the new computer is running WinXP Media Center 2005

Phaenilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:01 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Help! Moving to a new computer

Just transfer it all other and delete what you don't want. it may be harder but at least you know how to do it.
CPU-Intel Pentium 4 630 3.0Ghz / 2MB Cache ~~OS Windows XP SP2
MOBO-Gigabyte 8I915P Duo Pro Intel Socket 775 (PCI-E)~~HDD-Western Digital 160GB(SATA)
PSU-Aspire 500W ATX~~RAM-1GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (512x2 Dual Channel)
GPU-MSI GeForce 6600 GT(PCI Express)~~Monitor Viewsonic VA902B 19" 8ms~~ ATI TV Wonder Pro (TV Tuner)
~~Still to come~~: eVGA e-GeForce 7800 GT
Dishdog is offline   Reply With Quote