Help me restore my MBR?

wsigo

BSOD
Hi just wanted to say I found computerforums the other day on a google search, and I like it. Lots of great info and this is my first post!

OK, last week I installed Mandriva Linux on a second hard drive, and now have decided to stop using it and formatted the disk. The problem is that bootloader still runs on startup. How can I remove this? Do I need to somehow change the MBR? If so, how? I wouldn't worry too much about this other than it's set to load Linux automatically, and Linux is no longer there! Thanks for any advice

Are you trying to put back the Windows MBR? Depends on what version of Windows you're running.

On XP, put in the CD and boot from it. When the installer starts, choose to repair your existing Windows installation, and type in FIXMBR at the command prompt which appears. Say yes when asked.

On 98, start up using the bootdisk. Type in the command fdisk /fixmbr at the DOS prompt. You won't see any visual output, but when a new DOS prompt command line appears, restart your PC as that's the repair process finished.

Yes, I should have specified. I'm running XP on an emachines, and I DO have the restore discs created, does it matter that it's restore discs and not an actual Windows install disc? I would think not...

to use the restore disc you need to press F2 during the boot from the windows XP CD...

or do you mean system restore discs? (like dell system restore), which is just the windows XP disc with a dell logo on it

emachines, system restore discs that I actually had to burn. I put the cd in the drive, and restarted, but the computer started up just like it has been, no options for restore or install or fix or anything. Do I need to press F2 or what because F2 gets me into bios settings and F10 lets me choose other options like start normal or safe mode. Also, I did the online chat thing with someone from emachines and they told me to reset the cmos. Will doing that reset my mbr?

edit- other post shows up now, sorry for inconvenience

Ok I replied but for some reason it's not showing up. I have restore discs that I burned, when I put it in and restart I still have the same problem. emachines chat tech said to reset the cmos and that it would reset the mbr. All it did was reset the cmos. I just realized that I have a few Windows XP cd's laying around of my friends, can I use one of those?

wsigo said:
edit- other post shows up now, sorry for inconvenience

Ok I replied but for some reason it's not showing up. I have restore discs that I burned, when I put it in and restart I still have the same problem. emachines chat tech said to reset the cmos and that it would reset the mbr. All it did was reset the cmos. I just realized that I have a few Windows XP cd's laying around of my friends, can I use one of those?

Tech support told you what?:eek:
Resetting CMOS, is well, resetting CMOS. What you do need to do is get into BIOS and change the Boot Order to boot to CD/DVD ROM drive first, then Hard drive. Then reboot, your computer should start off the recovery discs that you made (assuming it is bootable- and you don't have to type in a command to start the image). You will loose all data on your hard drive if you restore- it will go back to like the day you got it- not unless you made the recovery cds later down the road. IF the Windows XP discs are OEM- and you have a VALID COA, it should work- but you will not have all the bundled programs that you have with your recovery discs. To get into BIOS, it will be F1, F2 (usually Dell), F10 (usually Compaq & HP), Del (usually custom builds) or Esc, or any combination of the few.

Wow that was super easy. I just used the XP Pro cd that I had lying around to get to the prompt to type in fixmbr and bam it was done. The thing that worried me was it said something about partitions and that I may not be able to access my drive, so I just did a backup to be safe. No problems whatsoever, Thanks to the people who replied! I feel like such a noob after this :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom