Help! Accidentally deleted some C: files..

thesiborg

Beta member
Hi team.. so heres what happened - I was playing around with this software called NaviPac which uses 'working folders' in the C: which you can create or delete using a dialogue box. Somehow, instead of selecting the subfolder within C: that I wanted to delete I managed to select C: itself!

I have no Idea exactly what the software has actually deleted but suddenly programs like Msoft word etc dont work. I have tried using system restore but it didnt work and now I have no idea how to return my system to how it was before i clicked on that blasted delete buton!!!

So If anyone knows how I can restore my lost files etc. I would be extremely appreciative to hear how!!

Thanks everyone :flowers:

Have you looked in the computers "recycle bin"? Hopefully whatever it deleted is there, and you can select the items and tell it to restore them. If there are lots of files, try to sort them by deletion date...that would hopefully put the files in question all together.

thesiborg said:
Hi team.. so heres what happened - I was playing around with this software called NaviPac which uses 'working folders' in the C: which you can create or delete using a dialogue box. Somehow, instead of selecting the subfolder within C: that I wanted to delete I managed to select C: itself!

I have no Idea exactly what the software has actually deleted but suddenly programs like Msoft word etc dont work. I have tried using system restore but it didnt work and now I have no idea how to return my system to how it was before i clicked on that blasted delete buton!!!

So If anyone knows how I can restore my lost files etc. I would be extremely appreciative to hear how!!

Thanks everyone :flowers:

Ok I just wrote about PC Inspector. Here is what I wrote.

Why does PC Inspector not work on Physical drives?

I put this in here because this might wok on your logical drive.

This is a free programme.

Search for this on CNET downloads.

Good luck.

And....There is another that will definatly work. Called EASEUS. But you can only recover 1gb of files. If you want all the files then you will have to pay out like 70.00.

The 1gb of files that I found and restored worked perfectly.

Yes the above reply came in while I was writing this one now editing.

Do check the recycle bin first.

Last edited:
Hey thanks all for the info

Nothing in the recycle bin unfortunately :(

I will try PC Inspector or EASEUS - do you know if they work with VISTA?

Failing that I was thinking to just reformat and reinstall my programs, what do you guys reckon about that?

cheers

A reload will solve the problem, but you'd lose any data that you don't have saved/backed up somewhere else.

What about just re-installing the programs (or even trying the repair option)?

thesiborg said:
Hey thanks all for the info

Nothing in the recycle bin unfortunately :(

I will try PC Inspector or EASEUS - do you know if they work with VISTA?

Failing that I was thinking to just reformat and reinstall my programs, what do you guys reckon about that?

cheers

I do see why not.

Ok so I tried both those file recovery programs but they wouldnt execute for some reason - eventually I just got fed up, backed up any important files and reinstalled Windows (along with drivers etc from the CD)

It seems to have worked! everything runs smoothly and I can now reinstall my programs and get back to normality :p

cheers again for all the advice!!

thesiborg said:
Ok so I tried both those file recovery programs but they wouldnt execute for some reason - eventually I just got fed up, backed up any important files and reinstalled Windows (along with drivers etc from the CD)

It seems to have worked! everything runs smoothly and I can now reinstall my programs and get back to normality :p

cheers again for all the advice!!

Good that you solved your problem.

Ok so now I have a new problem - I reinstalled the program (with which the first problem arose..) but this time it doesnt even work! - it says:

"cannot locate file: WKWIN32.dll"

Does anyone know what this means and/or how I can get this file back??

Back
Top Bottom