Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

obar

Beta member
I need help with a desk top computer with windows XP. Problem is when I try and download certain files (such as state tax forms, or almost any goverment document) I get a box that pops up and says "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close." and there is nothing I can do, I have to close, any information I was working on is gone!! and I have to start over, and avoid that download, This does not happen with my lap top, it is very annoying, any help would be welcome, Thanks, O-Bar

Something has caused real problems with you browser- Internet Explorer. A quick fix would be to download a more stable browser, such as FireFox, Opera, or even Netscape- if the site you are going to for these files allows you to connect with other browsers. You may want to run your antivirus program, a spyware removal program, and any other security programs you have, to make sure you don't have anything. It's not unusual for IE to close out- but for it to do it all the time, there are underlying problems causing this. Is it IE7 or IE6?

Problem is when I try and download certain files (such as state tax forms, or almost any goverment document) I get a box that pops up and says "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close." and there is nothing I can do, I have to close, any information I was working on is gone!! and I have to start over, and avoid that download, This does not happen with my lap top, it is very annoying, any help would be welcome, Thanks, O-Bar

I would recommend downloading 'ShellExView' from http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html so you can view and disable certain shell extensions. Why? These errors are caused by 3rd party shell extensions that are not functioning properly.

The problem this person is having is *NOT WITH IE* it's self, but the problem is with 3rd party shell extensions that are not functioning properly. Therefore, causing this generic message to be displayed.

A quick fix would be to download a more stable browser, such as FireFox, Opera, or even Netscape-

IM curious what makes Firefox, Oprera, or even Netscape more stable than IE?

Again, these errors are caused by 3rd party shell extensions that are not functioning properly. ;)

Also, spyware could also be an issue here. You should download adaware, spybot search & destory, and hijackthis. Run the spyware scanners in safe mode (recommended) all 3 can be downloaded from www.download.com or googling them.

Cheers, 0x0161

You could also try resetting IE. Goto tools > internet options > advanced tab and click reset, it might not sort it but its worth a shot.

Hey,
How can I make an image of an internet PC only for windows xp sp2? Internet explorer should be the only program that can be used and nothing else. Users should have no access to anything else.
Thanks

Hey,
How can I make an image of an internet PC only for windows xp sp2? Internet explorer should be the only program that can be used and nothing else. Users should have no access to anything else.
Thanks

hi i am sure people will be willing to help as long as you make it in a new thread

Back
Top Bottom