Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-31-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Default HDD Clone software

I plan on buying a new HDD to replace my primary one (OS). However, I do not wish to reinstall windows and every program as I do not have the time right now. What is a good software (preferably free) that will clone my primary HDD to the new one? That way I can just swap the HDD (sata slot wise) and boot up normally on the new HDD.

Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:15 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: HDD Clone software

DriveImageXML

cavemangrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Alrighty I'll try this out.
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Old 08-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
BSOD

Remember that, when you install a HDD with windows onto a new motherbord it will ask you to activate it.
crashoveride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoveride View Post
Remember that, when you install a HDD with windows onto a new motherbord it will ask you to activate it.
He's installing on same motherboard, just different HDD. The HDD only counts for 1 point in the checksum and you need a total of three points to trigger a new activation in Windows.

You can also use Clonezilla, we use that at work and it's free, but I haven't tried DriveImageXML so that may be your best bet.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Many drive manufacturers have software available on their website that will clone the entire contents of the old drive to the new one.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
He's installing on same motherboard, just different HDD. The HDD only counts for 1 point in the checksum and you need a total of three points to trigger a new activation in Windows.

You can also use Clonezilla, we use that at work and it's free, but I haven't tried DriveImageXML so that may be your best bet.
I'll check that out too. I will research both to see which one has the better reviews. With retail windows, I can use it on as much machine as I want, as long as only one PC is activated with the key right? Its OEM that can't be transferred?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Many drive manufacturers have software available on their website that will clone the entire contents of the old drive to the new one.
Does it matter that the HDD manufacturers wont be the same? The old one is Seagate and the new one will be Samsung.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:36 PM   #8
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

From what I remember, they work with drives from different manufacturers.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #9
In Runtime

Here's what I use at work and personally, in order of personal preference:

Symantec Ghost - My personal favorite for this task. Fast...simple...reliable...
Seagate's utility - Had some nice features in it but was a little bit too...uh..."frilly" for me...
Acronis TrueImage - Too frilly and takes FOR EEEEEEVEEEEEERRRRRRRRR to clone. (Took me 11.5 hrs last time I had to use it...would have taken Ghost about 25 min...) But...it works...

I've also tried that DriveXML one but could never get it to work. It always gave me an error regarding VSS.

Rmp5s is offline   Reply With Quote