Having processing problems with gaming

celestialz

Beta member
I was really unsure where I should have posted this, but here goes:

Hi. I have a two year old HP Pavilion a1118x. Processor: AMD Athlon 2.4 Ghz 3300+ and 160 GB 7200RPM Ultra DMA hard drive. Currently 512 MB PC3200 DR SDRAM memory. Operating system is XP Home edition. If there is something I missed, please go right ahead and ask away. My problem that I have been having is: increasing amounts of sluggish speed when running MMORPGs, but not only that with running other applications, slow log-in speed, and frequent d/cs (this is concerning when running this game called FLYFF) It gets to the point when I do a particular task such as transferring myself to another town and it enters a black screen and closes out of FLYFF on itself, all this takes up 15 min to complete. Yes, we have high speed internet connection as well. I keep thinking it is the game and it probably has a lot to do with it, but I can't help but think that it might be one of these reasons: a collection of malicious spyware in the background or the fact of it getting to be an old computer, or both! I also have another PC which is even older, but it runs FLYFF almost just as good and has a Pentium 3. o__O :eek: I'm just bewildered. So anyways my mom installed this program called Free Registry Fix and it detected 3 problems which are: high risks (67%) in Internet Explorer Objects and high risks (33%) in Application IDs. Hmm... :( So here were my ideas: I made a batch of recovery disks (13 CD-R) to restore this computer back to what it was when we first got it. No I have not done it yet. Also, I'm thinking of expanding memory to 1GB (that might help). So please if you have any other thoughts please post, sorry for the college paper length text lol.

Looking at the games requirements (below) you certainly seem to have sufficient to run it but it would probably be at the lowest settings available and your video is 128MB shared onboard which is where your problem begins imo because you're only running 512MB in total.

Assuming you have done all the usual pc maintenance things like virus/malware scans, defrag etc I would suggest the cheapest way to see an improvement would be another 512MB stick of memory and/or an AGP video card as the specs say there is an AGP port on the board.

Minimum .....................................................Recommended

CPU Pentium-III 600MHz .........................Pentium-IV 1.0GHz or better
RAM 256MB ........................................................512MB
VGA RAM 64 MB ..................................................256 MB

:)

Thanks a bunch, um I've also made a batch of recovery disks, 13 of them to be precise. My family and me are looking at external hard drives, which one would you recommend to back up all my data? Oh and yes, I have purchased another 512 ram, we still have yet to get the on board video. Thanks for all your support. :)

P.S-Yes we have kept up to date on protection software :)

Back
Top Bottom