Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Have a question about a Mac on a PC

Was wondering if there is a way to run a Mac operating system on a PC? The primary reason for me to see if this can be done is so I can try and learn Final Cut Pro which can only be installed on a Macintosh system. Any suggestions would be helpful.

jasonbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Have a question about a Mac on a PC

Yes it's possible, however apple designs their operating system to make this a bit hard, however theirs "hacked" versions out their. What are the specs on your PC?

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
In Runtime

I haven't tried it out, but I searched google and came up with this

DevJargon.com - A place for developers to learn
silent1mezzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to LukaszR

i also had this question. i asked a few people i knew, that know a lot about macs and their setup, and appearntly with the newer versions of OS X for Mac its possible. This is because now Mac's are being built with Intel Processors, so it therefore is possible.
It is a difficult process like mentioned above, but ofcourse...anything is possible these days.

Let us know if you try it - and get it to work.
LukaszR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to drumthrasher Send a message via MSN to drumthrasher Send a message via Yahoo to drumthrasher

Yeah you can do it. I have OS X 10.5.2 on my PC and it runs just like it does on a Mac. All my hardware works, except my video card, the drivers that people make just don't wanna work for me but it works fine for others (I get no hardware acceleration). It installs just like a regular operating system after you patch the DVD.

So, go out and buy it, patch it with some files that can be found online, and install it.

It is against Apple's EULA to install their operating system on non-Apple hardware, but its nice to experiment with it.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
Baseband Member

Here are my system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Duel Core Processor 4600+
2.41 GHz
2GB of Ram
250GB Hard Drive
80GB Hard Drive
Windows XP Home
Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT 256 MB PCI-E (2 DVI)
SoundBlaster Audigy SE Sound Card

Now I should be able to dual boot between the newer version of Mac OS and windows XP correct? The reason is because there is a 3D software that I use for doing animations and stuff but I believe its not Mac OS compatible. And am I going to have problems loading drivers for the hardware under the MacOS system?
jasonbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to drumthrasher Send a message via MSN to drumthrasher Send a message via Yahoo to drumthrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbourne View Post

2.41 GHz
2GB of Ram
250GB Hard Drive
80GB Hard Drive
Windows XP Home

Now I should be able to dual boot between the newer version of Mac OS and windows XP correct? The reason is because there is a 3D software that I use for doing animations and stuff but I believe its not Mac OS compatible. And am I going to have problems loading drivers for the hardware under the MacOS system?
Nope, all your hardware is perfectly compatable, except maybe your sound card, we'll have to look into that. PM me for more info.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbourne View Post

2.41 GHz
2GB of Ram
250GB Hard Drive
80GB Hard Drive
Windows XP Home

The fact that you have an AMD processor is a problem. The motherboard is also the biggest factor in OS X compatibility.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

I have an AMD CPU and it works fine. Want a screeny?
Old 05-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #10
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumthrasher View Post
I have an AMD CPU and it works fine. Want a screeny?
No, it can work but it brings a whole slew of compatibility problems to the table. If you have an AMD rig, chances are OS X will NOT run on it.