Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #21
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Starr Send a message via MSN to Starr
Default Re: Haha, Windows XP is phasing out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't seem to be really irrational if you think about it. For the past six months or so when you bought a new laptop or desktop with XP on it they gave you a free upgrade to Vista so if you think about it by the time XP is phased out you should be getting a new computer anyway.

I got a Vista Business key from my dads business because they had some extra keys they didn't need and it runs fairly well on my system. The only issue is BF2 and BF2142 runs really slow. This is probably due to my 1GB of RAM.

Windows Vista Business Edition

"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary and those who don't."
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:15 AM   #22
Daemon Poster

It doesn't seem to be really irrational if you think about it. For the past six months or so when you bought a new laptop or desktop with XP on it they gave you a free upgrade to Vista so if you think about it by the time XP is phased out you should be getting a new computer anyway.

I got a Vista Business key from my dads business because they had some extra keys they didn't need and it runs fairly well on my system. The only issue is BF2 and BF2142 runs really slow. This is probably due to my 1GB of RAM.

"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary and those who don't."
Old 04-21-2007, 08:48 PM   #23
Golden Master

Vistas on it's way to getting their first service pack. Check out this site that has the info.

Intel CEO Says Vista Service Pack To Be Released October Or November
http://www.informationweek.com/windo...SSfeed_TechWeb

Microsoft didn't confirm it so we'll just wait and see.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:02 PM   #24
Golden Master

IMO, the problem with low memory comes rather from the fact that Vista caches some RAM. The actual free memory is a combination of cached and Free. I don't know why they're caching it.

Linux, beats all. I looked at the monitor...and the thing swallowed 950MB RAM!
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #25
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuser View Post
IMO, the problem with low memory comes rather from the fact that Vista caches some RAM. The actual free memory is a combination of cached and Free. I don't know why they're caching it.

Linux, beats all. I looked at the monitor...and the thing swallowed 950MB RAM!
Yea, Vista approaches RAM differently. Instead of letting all of the RAM sit idlely it anticipates what you are going to do next and caches the RAM.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:53 PM   #26
Fully Optimized

my vista after boot uses about 500mb of ram and after i run a program like winamp it goes to about 530mb then after it's closed the free ram only goes back to about 525mb. Why would this happen?
Old 04-21-2007, 10:15 PM   #27
Golden Master

The AlwaysUnloadDLL registry key needs to be applied.

Starr, that proves that even with 2GB, your cached RAM will be used anyways. I never found a problem with Vista on my machine, other than my sound card.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:42 PM   #28
Fully Optimized

why is there 71 processes running?! thats overboard!!!!!!!!!!!i have nvr let my comp do more than 30 processes! 71 must be crazy!
spywarebanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:58 PM   #29
Golden Master

What's surprising is that he has 71 Processes and have 96MB of (free) Physical RAM while I'm running roughly 61 Processes and have 0MB of (free) Physical RAM. Isn't that strange? Mikee up there has an Athlon XP CPU while mine is an Athlon 64 3500+ and he's running tons more efficiently than my system!!!!
Old 04-21-2007, 11:44 PM   #30
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuser View Post
The AlwaysUnloadDLL registry key needs to be applied.

Starr, that proves that even with 2GB, your cached RAM will be used anyways. I never found a problem with Vista on my machine, other than my sound card.
Yea, the way Vista is set up to use RAM, it will always look like you don't have enough and that you need more, when in reality you are fine. It would be interesting to see exactly how they determine the amount of RAM being cached and what it's being cached for. I will have to do a little research.