Good Operating system for bad computers

L3G1TN00BZ

Beta member
Hello here is a more detailed explanation on what i am looking for... i have a dell dimension 5150 with an intel pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs) with 2814MB of ram (2.75 GB) running windows xp home edition version 2002 service pack 3. it runs REALLY slow... i want to be able to play minecraft and saubratten on it, is there any operating system i can switch to like or based off the windows platform. i had windows vista and it went fast (Sometimes lag spikes) but it crashed so i though windows xp would be even faster should i go back windows vista? or is there a way to spped up windows xp

Both of those games are available for Linux so you might try installing something like Ubuntu on that machine. I don't know if there's other games you want to play that are only available for Windows.

However, I would expect that XP would run much better on that hardware than Vista. Did you install XP drivers for your video card?

Both of those games are available for Linux so you might try installing something like Ubuntu on that machine. I don't know if there's other games you want to play that are only available for Windows.

However, I would expect that XP would run much better on that hardware than Vista. Did you install XP drivers for your video card?

i was trying too, its hard to find any. i cant find a proper java runtime either. i cant install linux, its too hard to work with because i usually have alot of windows applications like spotify, Manycam, Skype. i would have to do alot of stuff through terminal but i will give it another try, which linux distro should i get

Everyone who uses Linux has their favourite distro. My preference is Mint. I have found that it finds all my hardware whereas Ubuntu didn't. But as I say we all have our favourites for different and varied reasons. You may have to try a few distros.

If you want a linux OS that works well on old junk, try Lubutnu.
It should support minecraft. However some minor tinkering is properly required.

Back
Top Bottom