Going back to Windows from Ubuntu

Jake482

Beta member
Hi there, I recently tried Ubuntu for the first time however I have decided that I want to go back and install windows 7. I downloaded a copy of windows 7 from the internet and burned the ISO image of both the setup.exe file and all the folders etc., chose the DVD drive as first boot option however with both DVD's it says it cannot detect an OS. I also tried using PlayOnLinux to run the setup.exe file however it came up with an error and said it cannot save the right folders.

Can anyone give me advice about how to get it working?

Thanks.

Buy a legal copy. We can not offer help on pirated software.

Assuming it had Windows on it originally, then there should be some recovery disks you can use.

Buy a legal copy. We can not offer help on pirated software.

Assuming it had Windows on it originally, then there should be some recovery disks you can use.

Technically, isn't downloading the ISO legal? It would only be pirating if they got a key without paying.

OP: Since you said you had Windows before, you should be able to put in the key you already had (if you bought your PC with Windows pre-installed, it should be printed on the side or bottom somewhere). However, it would be much easier if you had a disk (or recovery partition) from the manufacturer of your PC. If you absolutely must download an ISO, I believe you can download one right from MS's website. Make sure the one you download is the exact same version as the one that came pre-installed (for example, if it came installed with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, download that version. Downloading any other version (like Ultimate or a 32bit version will cause your key not to work.)

Technically, isn't downloading the ISO legal? It would only be pirating if they got a key without paying.

OP: Since you said you had Windows before, you should be able to put in the key you already had (if you bought your PC with Windows pre-installed, it should be printed on the side or bottom somewhere). However, it would be much easier if you had a disk (or recovery partition) from the manufacturer of your PC. If you absolutely must download an ISO, I believe you can download one right from MS's website. Make sure the one you download is the exact same version as the one that came pre-installed (for example, if it came installed with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, download that version. Downloading any other version (like Ultimate or a 32bit version will cause your key not to work.)

+1 ^ All correct.

No since there is no place on the Microsoft Servers for a person to download the software. Windows cant be hosted on any other site without permission. So unless the member is part of MSDN, TechNet or DreamSpark, then they didnt get it from Microsoft Servers and it would still be illegal.

Even the downloads from Digital River are now considered illegal with the release of Windows 8 around the corner. Microsoft holds exclusive rights to their software and they are the only ones that can host it. Downloading it from any site that is nor *.microsoft.com would make it illegal.

Replacement Media is not free.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-us

It can be ordered and shipped to you for a cost. It is not available for download from the Microsoft Sites or servers.

No it's not ok to download a ISO copy of a microsoft OS unless it's from microsoft.
Since he said from the internet, it's a sure bet it wasn't from MS. If it's a torrent download my money's on it's corrupted.
I paid for mine. You pay for yours.

I assumed he used TechNet, perhaps I should not have made that assumption.

However, he can legally use any legitimate copy of Windows 7, his own, or one borrowed from a friend. There are only two caveats. One, it must be the identical version that was originally supplied with his computer. Two, the requirement that he use the product code that came labeled on his computer.

Again, this is assuming that his machine is an O.E.M. and not a custom build. He has not supplied any of this information. I just wouldn't rush to judgment, calling the guy a pirate. Not yet anyway. :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom