Get rid of Dual Boot

BrianS

In Runtime
I just formatted my hard drive and installed Windows XP Pro. I originally had Home on it. Now whenever I start/restart my computer it asks me if I want to boot into Home or Pro. How do I get rid of the Dual boot screen (GRUB?) and get it to start immediately?

Thank in advance for all your help.

Brian

You mustn't have formatted properly if you have both versions showing. Do you have more than one partition or more than one hard drive? You need to delete the version of XP that you don't want. Once thats done, you just boot from your XP CD and goto recovery console and type FIXBOOT and Press enter, then FIXMBR and press enter.

If your unsure about what to delete, then post a screenshot of your HDD in explorer so that i can see your partitions and directories and i will tell you what to get rid of. Its normally something like windows.old

When I formatted it, I just went through the windows reinstall screen (Blue and white text). I deleted all the partitions and then did the quick format which partitioned it as NTFS. Then installed it.

There is only one partition and in Explorer there is only the C: drive and the CD drive.

I will try the FIXBOOT in a couple minutes.

Thanks for your help

When I formatted it, I just went through the windows reinstall screen (Blue and white text). I deleted all the partitions and then did the quick format which partitioned it as NTFS. Then installed it.

There is only one partition and in Explorer there is only the C: drive and the CD drive.

I will try the FIXBOOT in a couple minutes.

Thanks for your help

and try FIXMBR while your at it, both at the same time usually works :)

yea thats what id do. its wierd. if you format a whole hard drive and install a fresh copy there should be a new boot.ini with only the one os on
Yeah, thats what i thought. Thats why i reckon he hasnt done it properly. I also mentioned FIXBOOT and FIXMBR to him coz its probably easier for him to do it that way, rather than to start playing with the boot.ini file, especially if hes not sure about it.

Back
Top Bottom