ftp question

zoomzilla

Solid State Member
First of all I dnot know too much about ftp other than its a way to transfer files. I was thinking of using it as a way to back up my computer. The idea is I would run windows from a VM on my laptop and clone it periodically. I would then send the clone, essentially a virtual appliance, via ftp to my old computer. Then if I got a virus I could just wipe the VM and send the VM clone forms my old CPU back to my laptop ready to rol, settings and all. Is this possible? Thanks for any help or suggestions

FTP is just like doing something via the internet. Most people who own websites, transfer files to and from the website using FTP as it is much more secure.

So yes while you can do what you want, FTP isnt necessary. You can just do it across your network. But you will have to know all of your network settings and how to connect the PC's via IP.

Junior777 said:
FTP is just like doing something via the internet. Most people who own websites, transfer files to and from the website using FTP as it is much more secure.

So yes while you can do what you want, FTP isnt necessary. You can just do it across your network. But you will have to know all of your network settings and how to connect the PC's via IP.

OK thanks. Sounds like a nice project to learn.

Back
Top Bottom