Formatting Problems..Help Please

smithman01

Baseband Member
I just recently tried to reformat my C: drive in my computer but now it won't let me upgrade to Windows XP Pro. When I boot up the computer without any media in the Floppy Drive or the CD drive, it reads:

Invalid system disk
Replace the disk, and then press any key

Anyone have any suggestions? I've already tried formatting a floppy 1.44mb floppy disk in Windows XP Pro on my other computer to try to get this to boot but then when I stick the floppy disk in the computer and boot up, I just receive the A:/> prompt. What should I do????

Go into bios (by hitting the key your computer tells you to when it starts up). Look around and check your boot sequence. CD should be before your harddrive.

If that doesn't work, the CD may be no good.

The Hard Drive is Empty, thus it can't boot anything.

Exactly, there is nothing on the hard drive for the computer to boot to. When I do go into CMOS, the CD-Rom is not one of the options for me to boot from, only the floppy drive. Is there a way to change the options or add a device so that i could try to boot windows from my Windows XP Pro CD? I can't find any options that would let me choose my CD-Rom as a bootable drive in the options.

smithman01 said:
I just recently tried to reformat my C: drive in my computer but now it won't let me upgrade to Windows XP Pro. When I boot up the computer without any media in the Floppy Drive or the CD drive, it reads:

Invalid system disk
Replace the disk, and then press any key

Anyone have any suggestions? I've already tried formatting a floppy 1.44mb floppy disk in Windows XP Pro on my other computer to try to get this to boot but then when I stick the floppy disk in the computer and boot up, I just receive the A:/> prompt. What should I do????
I've already tried formatting a floppy
You need a system disk,not a blank.
Get one.since you didn't make one
Don't do this till you do.
So can you boot into the previous version ?
This is an important step.

if you can't boot from the CD drive you'll have to boot from floppy disks, XP has 6 boot disks, so you'll need a small stack of floppies and a working computer to download the boot disk images from the microsoft site...

Do you have a full install XP or an upgrade cd.
Either way you can install the older version and update To XP in Windows run menu,
But i get the impression you don't know anything about installing Windows or you would have a system floppy disk.
How did you Format your hd ? That needs one.
Please start over with what you can and can't do.

Back
Top Bottom