Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-31-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
In Runtime

Default Flash Player

Not sure whether to put this here or in Security. Anyway here goes. Quite a bit of what I am reading on the net about Flash Player is telling me to either disable it or remove it entirely because of the security implications associated with Flash Player at the moment. The problem with that is web sites like You Tube etc will not work without Flash. Nobody is saying what alternative to use if Flash is disabled or removed. In fact I don't think there is an alternative, or am I wrong with that assumption? Either with disablement or removal an awful lot of interesting stuff on the net would be unusable.

pete.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:55 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Flash Player

My understanding is that there are alternatives but it's up to the web developers to implement them. HTML5 for example is supported by every modern browser and can be a replacement for Flash in many scenarios. Youtube for example has been using an HTML5 based player for some time now.

As long as we continue to run flash, there will be developers who will not put forth the effort to eliminate it from their apps, in spite of the security implications. Some folks believe that it could be phased out faster if the masses simply refuse to run it, but that's just difficult to do.

crazyman143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:27 AM   #3
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyman143 View Post
My understanding is that there are alternatives but it's up to the web developers to implement them. HTML5 for example is supported by every modern browser and can be a replacement for Flash in many scenarios. Youtube for example has been using an HTML5 based player for some time now.

As long as we continue to run flash, there will be developers who will not put forth the effort to eliminate it from their apps, in spite of the security implications. Some folks believe that it could be phased out faster if the masses simply refuse to run it, but that's just difficult to do.
LOL if the "masses" worked together we could sort out the world's problems in a month but that just aint gonna happen. Thanks for you input though I will look into that.
pete.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
In Runtime

Firefox is trying to eliminate Adobe Flash Player and Google Chrome is trying the same thing with Java but IE still works for both so make sure you keep them all up to date as if they get old they won't work right and can enable Malware into system, which is why those two are trying to eliminate them.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:25 AM   #5
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
Firefox is trying to eliminate Adobe Flash Player and Google Chrome is trying the same thing with Java but IE still works for both so make sure you keep them all up to date as if they get old they won't work right and can enable Malware into system, which is why those two are trying to eliminate them.
Actually both Google & Mozilla are doing. Google decided to end support so Mozilla followed suit.
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:25 AM   #6
In Runtime

When you say MOzilla be careful to say Firefox as there are many Mozilla browsers who stayed out of this. I use Pale Moon, a Mozilla Browser and it has both Java and Adobe Flash Player working just fine and I don't believe FF has ended Java either.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
In Runtime

Quote:
If Chrome and Firefox eliminate Flash-player, how are we gonna watch ESPN3 streaming s and others?
frank55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #8
In Runtime

Internet Explorer, Pale Moon, Opera and more.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:07 AM   #9
In Runtime

There was a reason the great Stephen Jobs hated Flash!
Old 11-05-2015, 06:28 AM   #10
Golden Master

Quote:
When you say MOzilla be careful to say Firefox as there are many Mozilla browsers who stayed out of this. I use Pale Moon, a Mozilla Browser and it has both Java and Adobe Flash Player working just fine and I don't believe FF has ended Java either.
There is only one browser developed/made by Mozilla which is Firefox. All the other versions like Pale Moon are derived from Firefox and since most are built off Firefox they will probably have to follow.

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote