Flash drive software questions

HAMPTR

Beta member
Hello everyone,

I am working on a project that involves storing information on a flash drive. There are several elements of this project that I need your help in achieving. 1. I need to establish a data lock that will allow the information stored on the flash drive to be viewed but not edited. 2. I need to load anti-virus software on the flash drive that will scan initiate when the user establishes connection with the host computer via the USB port. 3. I need to load locator software on the flash drive that will notify user designated person'(s) when the flash drive establishes connection with a host computer and is in use. I would appreciate any advice or assistance that anyone would offer.

It looks to me like you want to establish a system of finding stolen flash drives. You might want to consider the privacy implications involved in this. If you've got a flash-drive that can notify someone from a remote machine, then it's creating a security vulnerability whenever it's plugged in.

You might be able to work around this by having the flash drive transmit it's gps coordinates whenever it is connected to a usb power source, perhaps at user-defined intervals. This data could be encrypted and picked up by your own servers, which then log the data.

You could then provide a subscription service to the buyers of the flash drive. They could access the gps logs in case they lose their flash drive, or it gets stolen or something.

As for establishing a data lock, you'll have to make sure that it gets activated correctly. What if the user buys a new computer? Treating the local machine as the only true access point would be risky. It might just be easier to encrypt the contents of the drive.

Hope this helps.

:edit:
Note, in order for the flash drive to go the gps route, you might need some custom hardware. I am not certain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom