Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default Fix registry on slave hard drive?

None of the programs are allowing me to do a registry scan on my hard drive. I'm on a old hard drive and have my newer one plugged in as a secondary drive. I've downloaded 2 different programs and they only work for the one that I booted on, which is the wrong one.... help pls?

Old 09-08-2010, 02:43 AM   #2
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: Fix registry on alternate disk drive?

Being that the registry is located on the drive you are running, it will be the only one scanned.

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
Daemon Poster

Well the thing that happened is it says it can not boot because "windows/ ect ect / system" can not be located. I have no clue where my windows cd is to repair it... I tried a iso but it was in a different language.. Im stuck on my Ipod for now till I cqn get this fixed
Old 09-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

Do you have an OS on both drives? From the way you make it sound, there's an OS on both drives. If the OS was installed on the same machine for both drives, then you'll need to get a Linux Live CD to boot from. Once you have booted from the Live CD, copy the D:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM registry file to C:\Windows\System32\config. Again this is assuming that both drives have an OS that was installed on the same machine. If the OS on the other drive was installed from another machine then this may work, but Windows is going to go nuts with activation errors as it's detecting a new spectrum of hardware. If this is not a plausible route for you, then unfortunately, you will need the Windows disc to restore the registry file.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectionZero View Post
Do you have an OS on both drives? From the way you make it sound, there's an OS on both drives. If the OS was installed on the same machine for both drives, then you'll need to get a Linux Live CD to boot from. Once you have booted from the Live CD, copy the D:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM registry file to C:\Windows\System32\config. Again this is assuming that both drives have an OS that was installed on the same machine. If the OS on the other drive was installed from another machine then this may work, but Windows is going to go nuts with activation errors as it's detecting a new spectrum of hardware. If this is not a plausible route for you, then unfortunately, you will need the Windows disc to restore the registry file.
I'm sorry I should have been more specific. I have 2 harddrives and both have the same copy of windows xp sp2 on it. So what I'm seeing that you are saying is that I need to install linux on one of the drives and then copy the windows system file from the good hard drive to the bad one?
Old 09-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

Not quite, you just need to boot into Linux with a Live CD and copy the SYSTEM registry file from the good harddrive to the bad one. No need to install Linux as this will only make matters more complicated.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

Is there any way that I can Possibly get a link to where I can DL that?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:50 AM   #8
Jk
In Runtime

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

There is like a million variations of linux but ubuntu is pretty popular. Just download the iso, burn, and put it in the comp. From there you can run linux without installing it and copy your registry file over.

I miss my opty :c
Jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:07 AM   #9
Daemon Poster

Ok, after having to download it on 2 different cd's and multiple problems, I'm running off ubuntu right now. Now the question is, How do I access my files on my hard drive? I've never used this before =\

Thanks for the help so far guys
Old 09-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

If there's no answer by the time I get off work, I'll boot up into Ubuntu and get you the exact steps.