Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-28-2015, 03:02 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Finding Key Code

Hello All,

I have a Windows Vista DVD which I bought a few years ago. The case doesn't show the Product Key Code. Is there anyway I can get the Key Code for this DVD?

Thanks in advance,
Larisa

For Details Visit http://stehe21@wix.com/sfi-webpage
Larisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Finding Key Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larisa View Post
Hello All,

I have a Windows Vista DVD which I bought a few years ago. The case doesn't show the Product Key Code. Is there anyway I can get the Key Code for this DVD?

Thanks in advance,
Larisa
Hehe well, you could install it and I know of a way to find it, however I'm not sure if it's legal... In which case it cannot be said on the forum. I'll just say this, all keys from windows are actually IN windows and with a special program it goes through the windows files and finds it...

Asus USB 3.0 Mobo - 16Gb DDr3 1866mhz Ram - AMD FX 6300 Hexa core 4.0Ghx OC - Corsair CX600M PSU - Corsair H80i Cooler - Gigabyte Gefore GT 730 2Gb GDDr5 - WD Blue 1tb 7200rpm - WD 360gb 5200rpm Backup drive.
NikonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

If Larisa installs it, it won't have the key code until AFTER it is typed in so your suggestion won't work NikonGuy. The code is completely separate from the DVD. BTW, the "secret" way of retrieving it that you are hinting at is to use a program like Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder which is not illegal. However, a key that has never been typed in cannot be found, period.

To answer Larisa's question, no, if the key code is missing from the package, there is no way to retrieve it. You might be able to buy a Vista key code that would work with that DVD off of Ebay but that can be iffy. Here's an example from Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/WINDOWS-VIST...item3cf432c43c
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
In Runtime

Strollin you are incorrect. Before I bought this version of windows, on my old one I lost the key. So I installed it and I forgot the program, ( have nothing to to with jelly I can assure you that ) and I found it, then went to register windows and it worked. So, no, you do not need to type it in first, it IS always there even before you install it, it is part of the programming or whatever they call it.
Asus USB 3.0 Mobo - 16Gb DDr3 1866mhz Ram - AMD FX 6300 Hexa core 4.0Ghx OC - Corsair CX600M PSU - Corsair H80i Cooler - Gigabyte Gefore GT 730 2Gb GDDr5 - WD Blue 1tb 7200rpm - WD 360gb 5200rpm Backup drive.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:55 PM   #5
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

I've never tried that, but it does make sense with Windows installations previous Windows 8. You can skip the key entry and some disks were sold with associated keys. I know very old versions of Windows had similar forms of key recovery.

EDIT:
Also, I can't see why using a legitimate and legal software installation to recover what is rightfully yours is taboo.

@Larisa, simply Google windows key recovery and you'll find a multitude of programs that will find this information for you. JellyBean is probably the most popular, but disconnect from your internet connection before running it as it scans everything on your network.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:55 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonGuy View Post
Strollin you are incorrect. Before I bought this version of windows, on my old one I lost the key. So I installed it and I forgot the program, ( have nothing to to with jelly I can assure you that ) and I found it, then went to register windows and it worked. So, no, you do not need to type it in first, it IS always there even before you install it, it is part of the programming or whatever they call it.
The only versions of Windows Vista that would have an embedded key code would be pirated versions. A genuine version of Windows Vista has no key code on the disk itself. When you type in the key code and click Activate, the key code is verified against MS servers to ensure it's a valid code that's not already in use and is then stored in the registry. The OS doesn't know anything about the key before it's typed in which means that you could use any valid key to activate an installed OS, the same DVD can be used for many installations as long as you have a separate key for each install.

In older windows versions like Win 98, the key code was verified only on the machine itself which is why the same key could be used multiple times to install Windows on different machines. However, the key was not stored on the disk in any way then either.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:35 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
The only versions of Windows Vista that would have an embedded key code would be pirated versions. A genuine version of Windows Vista has no key code on the disk itself. When you type in the key code and click Activate, the key code is verified against MS servers to ensure it's a valid code that's not already in use and is then stored in the registry. The OS doesn't know anything about the key before it's typed in which means that you could use any valid key to activate an installed OS, the same DVD can be used for many installations as long as you have a separate key for each install.

In older windows versions like Win 98, the key code was verified only on the machine itself which is why the same key could be used multiple times to install Windows on different machines. However, the key was not stored on the disk in any way then either.
Dead on the money here. The serial key is separate from the disk. If it is an OEM copy that came with a computer the serial sticker will be on the case. If it is a purchased copy (OEM or retail) then the serial sticker will be on a certificate or on the disk's cover.
TrotterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #8
In Runtime

Lol guys, I did it myself like a month ago. And I bought that win7 copy from amazon. It was win7 32bit that I bought years ago, I had lost the key so I used this method. And it worked. I ended up buying win7 64bit anyway though because 32bit couldn't handle all the ram
Old 03-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #9
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

You might have done it, but whatever it was wasn't legal. There are no files in windows that stores every single possible key for windows, likely what you used was a cracker as once windows is wiped there is no way to recover the original CD key from within a windows install.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:40 AM   #10
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
You might have done it, but whatever it was wasn't legal. There are no files in windows that stores every single possible key for windows, likely what you used was a cracker as once windows is wiped there is no way to recover the original CD key from within a windows install.
No... It was 1 key located in windows, and btw I never totally wiped windows, I just re installed it if that makes any difference.