Filled up harddrive

Bjoendal

Solid State Member
Hi Everybody !
I got a problem with my (c: ) drive. its completely filled, but looking throught the files i can only find around 140GB. its only a 400GB drive, but there should still be atleast 250GB of free space??
At the time, theres only 3-4 games installed. but not that long ago there where 15+ games installed. for some reason i am loosing space at an alarming rate. so i had to delete my games one by one. for examble, i cleared around 23gb by deleting Hitman but around 10-14 days later 15gb had all ready been used ?

Is there a virus or anything alike hiding somewhere ? and what should i do ? Clear my entire computer and start installing the games again ? or is there another solution.

I hope you can help me since iam in somewhat off a pickle and look past the terrible grammar

A 400gb hard drive? You sure it isnt a 500. I just never heard of a 400gb drive. The next step down from 500 is 320 i do believe.

I've seen a 400 in my days - there were a few 200's as well. Odd sizes that didn't last long. It's also possible that the partition is just set weird for a recover/hidden set.

Anyways back to the question at hand - odds are hidden system files like shadow copy and system restore are chewing up a chunk of the space and your recycling bin is taking up space too. Seti made a good list of things that can help clean up your system here: http://www.computerforums.org/forums/cyber-safety-computer-security/pc-cleanup-toolbox-219988.html

I caught up with the current version of Spybot S & D.
You can get it here > Overview | Spybot ©
Updating the scanner files has gotten a bit complicated but nothing major. Update as soon as you get it installed. Run once.

I've seen a 400 in my days - there were a few 200's as well. Odd sizes that didn't last long. It's also possible that the partition is just set weird for a recover/hidden set.

Anyways back to the question at hand - odds are hidden system files like shadow copy and system restore are chewing up a chunk of the space and your recycling bin is taking up space too. Seti made a good list of things that can help clean up your system here: http://www.computerforums.org/forums/cyber-safety-computer-security/pc-cleanup-toolbox-219988.html

Oh ok. I guess i learnt something new then. :)

I caught up with the current version of Spybot S & D.
You can get it here > Overview | Spybot ©
Updating the scanner files has gotten a bit complicated but nothing major. Update as soon as you get it installed. Run once.

I not to crazy about that Spybot.... looking at the reviews they seems to be very mixed, and the latest reviews are by far the worst. Does anybody have some experince using Spybot and would willing to share that experince with me ?

I have used it for years. This current version replaces the one I was using.
I've been using this version for a couple of months now with no ill effects. I assure you I would not post something I personally had not used.
If you're referring to a complaint about it not playing nice with some anti-virus programs, I haven't have any issues. I run Eset's top of the line anti-virus package.

Last edited:
I have used it for years. This current version replaces the one I was using.
I've been using this version for a couple of months now with no ill effects. I assure you I would not post something I personally had not used.

I am glad to hear so :) but just another question ( i know i got alot) iam considering restoring or reinstalling windows 7 to its factory settings ? is that a completly idiotic idea or does it make sense ?

If you do a restore and it does turn out to be a bug, be aware bugs will sometimes hide out in the restore points.
If you go the reinstall route make sure you do a long format of the drive first.
Personally I'd run the toolbox programs first. Then if that doesn't clear up the issue, then do a long format and reinstall win7.

If you do a restore and it does turn out to be a bug, be aware bugs will sometimes hide out in the restore points.
If you go the reinstall route make sure you do a long format of the drive first.
Personally I'd run the toolbox programs first. Then if that doesn't clear up the issue, then do a long format and reinstall win7.

I ran the CCleaner and it found 280 mb which isnt exatly the 250 gb.... So i should format my harddrive and the reinstal Win7... As far as i see i have to press F3 during the boot up ( i got an msi) and then start the reinstalment ?

Back
Top Bottom