File association issue

AMD_man

Fully Optimized
Hi guys. I'm having a problem with Windows 10 and VLC right now. The problem is, a lot of random file types were associated to VLC (such as .rar and .zip archives).

Is there any way of clearing all the defaults for a program? In the past this could be done in the Control Panel, but now everything redirects to the Windows 10 settings. I was hoping not to uninstall since I have a lot of settings that I don't want to lose.

I'd just use "open with" with each file I don't want VLC to run, choose the app and check the always use this app box.

But glad you solved it already.

I'd just use "open with" with each file I don't want VLC to run, choose the app and check the always use this app box.

But glad you solved it already.
Yeah but there were a lot of files that way. I was hoping there was a similar option to the one Android has, to just clear all the defaults to set them again manually.

uninstall vlc and when you reinstall, uncheck all the boxes that specify which files to open by default?

uninstall vlc and when you reinstall, uncheck all the boxes that specify which files to open by default?

If I understand you correctly, that's not what I want. If VLC offers to open video and audio by default, I won't say no to that; that's what I want. What I don't want is VLC "opening" .zip and .rar files.

Anyways, I reinstalled already, so problem solved.

yeah, and when vlc installs, it pops up with a list of the extensions you want to open with it. that list includes both media files like .avi or .mkv, and non media files like .zip or .rar. just un-select the ones you don't want it to open like .zip when you uninstall and reinstall. that way it'll still open your media files but not archives or images or other things that aren't suited to vlc.

on a side note, .rar files CAN be played in vlc directly if they're compressed media files. even if they're broken up into parts (.rar01, .rar02, etc)

Back
Top Bottom