A Few strange operating problems (maybe)

jimbowen

Beta member
First of all i would like to say hello to everyone here at ComputerForums.

My operating system (i think had developed some strange problems.
Firstly the process name, or image, has dissapeard from the task manager, i have checked in processes>veiw>select coloum, and it is selected.
Secondly half of my desktop icons have dissapeared. I looked on a few forums, i have had this problem before, and just opend task manager and re-started iexplorer.exe and that fixed it, but its not working this time.

I went to use daemon tools this morning, clicked on the shortcut, and got a message saying daemon is not installed on this computer?? i checked add/remonve and sure enough, daemon tools was not there. I found this to be extremly strange!!. Also windoiws which should always open on top od other winds are not, ie: task manager ( and yes, always open on top is seletced.

I thought maybe i might have had some dodgy spyware/virus, and scanned with avg,ad-aware se, spybot, trojan hunter, MS antispyware, Ewidio, and have found nothing, all are the latest definitions.

If anyone could suggest a solution, it would be appreciated.
I have not recently udated and drivers, so this is not the issue (in the past month or so)
Thank you

Some system spec-

-AMD 4000+ @ 2.8ghz / Gigabyte G-Power Pro Cooling
A-bit AN8-SLI
1GB DDR 400 (Geil)
Hiper Type r psu
XFX 7800gt Extreme Edition
MS XP Pro (SP2)+ all updates.

Welcome to CF. If you tried all that i'd think about a reinstall of the OS to see if that might not clear up some problems.

well thats a bit extreme really, i cant be botherd to burn all my apps+fames to disc 9 were talking about 90+gig of games alone).i read recently of a new virus, which deletes documents, and im wondering if this could also remove programs, as daemon tool shas actually been removed.

another wierd thing, was this morning, my itunes music folder had been copied to my desktop!??

i would reformat even if its a lot of hassle. it sounds like serious problems. virus checking is good by theres proberbly a load of crap that has gathered up on your pc so id just format

Definitlly something funny going on there. I would think about reformatting as well. Maybe somebody else in the forum has a better idea!!

yeah, a reformat is in order, evan if it is annoying, but it would stop all the problems.

infact, try a repair before you reformat, go into reformatting but when it shows the option for repairing or reformat, repair it.

DONT USE THE REPAIR CONSOLE!

Ok this may sound really silly but are you the only person who accesses the computer, the person I live with used to have a habit of changing programs, installing stuff and uninstalling stuff and generally fiddling with the desktop removing icons etc. I realised what she was doing and a few quiet words and a couple of loud ones as well, and the problem was solved.....

Here is something i got from the process libaray:

Process File: iexplore or iexplore.exe
Process Name: Microsoft Internet Explorer

Description:
iexplore.exe is the main executable for Microsoft Internet Explorer. This Microsoft Windows application allows you to surf the web, and local intranets. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

iexplore.exe is a process also relating to the Avant Internet Browser, a free plugin for Internet Explorer which offers additional features.

Note: iexplore.exe is also registered as the Trojan.KillAV.B and W32.Mogi virus, which systematically attempts to disable your AntiVirus solutions, lower system security and also affects some windows system tools. This is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately.

Note: iexplore.exe is also a process which is registered as the W32.Comdor.K@mm mass mailing worm. This virus is distributed via the Internet through e-mail and comes in the form of an e-mail message, in the hopes that you open it's hostile attachment. The worm has it's own SMTP engine which means it gathers E-mails from your local computer and re-distributes itself. In worst cases this worm can allow attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. It is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately.

Determining whether this process is a virus or a Windows process depends on the directory location it executes or runs from in WinTasks. (program you can download)

Recommendation for iexplore.exe:
Should not be disabled, required for essential applications to work properly.
To get control over your running programs we suggest WinTasks 5 Pro

Author: Microsoft Corp.
Part Of: Microsoft Internet Explorer

Remove iexplore.exe: Use WinTasks

Security Risk (0-5): 0
Spyware: No
Virus: No
Trojan: No
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I suggest that you check for virus's better to be safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom