Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-18-2004, 04:05 PM   #201
Golden Master
 
135791's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: No
Posts: 5,427
Send a message via MSN to 135791
Default Re: Favorite OS?

Mirosoft have monopolised the market and good on them well done

also, i would love to see MAC, LINUX, UNIX infact everyother OS survive under the pressure that Windows gets

they wouldnt last a week

if everyone used MAC then it would probly destoy them, from pressure of expliots hackers viruses trogans everything you say that is wrong with windows
__________________

135791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 05:35 PM   #202
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default Re: Favorite OS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD ZEN
Whatever, UNIX is superior to anything Gates will ever produce. And, 99% of the people think Windows XP is superior because it is the only choice "really" if you buy a PC (and 90% of those people who buy a PC are computer illiterate, and jsut buy a PC to do email and type documents).
Most people would say otherwise... practically all computer professionals. Unix is a building block that Windows surpassed with 3.1; if you are trying to argue Mac OS by using Unix then you should realise any kind of Unix Development beyond perhaps Sun has gone a long time ago. Even Mac has surpassed Unix.

More like 70-80% of those are computer illiterate. Of those, about 2% use Mac; which makes up all of about, what? two or three quarters of all of Mac's Market Share... That is what a Computer does; it is one of the many tools it is capable of and is a serious reason to get one - if Mac is not after getting the Computer Illiterate it will continue in obscurity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD ZEN
Apple users are not computer illiterate at all. They know what they are buying, and why they are buying it. Plain and simple. Gates has almost monopolized the market, and almost effectively "brainwashed" people into thinking WindowsXP is soooo great.
Well... that's a theory. When you definition of most Computer Illiterate people is people who want to do e-mail and type documents then I imagine even Mac has those. Computer Illiteracy has sense still; and those know that paying for a Mac twice the price of a Computer simply because it is a Mac when trying to e-mail and do documents is stupid Even for a Mac User.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD ZEN
Well guess what? It isn't! Spyware, adware, trojans, etc. The latter 2, MAC OS users don't deal with. Why? Because MAC OS Panther/Jaguar creators were not stupid, and didn't put in Spyware to monitor their users.
That's a theory that many use but none have reasons that they can back up. Spyware, Adware and Trojans are in Mac; all know that. If by latter two you meant the first two then you'd be wrong - because yes Windows has monitors; but even is the creators of Mac aren't stupid; Spyware is easily creatable and was invented before Windows put it in their machines. Things that aren't in the computer's infrastructure can be put in.

They don't deal with it because its a waste of money to develop Spyware and Adware for a dead product base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD ZEN
Gates did, and look what it caused...... Kalthorn, do you own an Apple? If not, you have no right to insult MAC OS! Don't even do it. It is rude, and childish. I am done argueing.
If I was highly wealthy and had money to throw around I would own a newer one - but yes I have an Apple Desktop PC. I used it for a short period to see what it was like a few months ago; then I set up a meeting between it and my 2 stone sledge hammer.

Now that was fun!
__________________

__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 05:41 PM   #203
Daemon Poster
 
broknhabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,222
Send a message via AIM to broknhabit
Default Re: Favorite OS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kalthorn
Yup

Tell me one thing that's not Relative?
in response to everything being relative:

Absolute truth - a truth that is valid at all times, regardless of parameters or context.
if everything was relative, then there could be no absolute truth.
if there were no absolute truth, then nothing could be completely and objectively wrong or completely and objectively right.
if nothing could be completely and objectively wrong or completely and objectively right, then nothing could be any more right than anything else. (because there would be no real definition of what is right or wrong)
if nothing could be any more right than anything else, then nothing could be wrong at all.
if nothing could be wrong at all, then killing millions of people for the fun of it would not be wrong.

by saying everything is relative, you are logically leading to the conclusion that killing millions of people for the fun of it is NOT WRONG. but, as humans, we know this is wrong. that's why we try to punish those who murder other people.

As a restatement of my previous argument (based on the logical truth that: IF A -> B then NOT B -> NOT A):

Therefore; because killing millions of people for the fun of it is wrong, things CAN be wrong.
Because things can be wrong, some things are more right than others.
Because things can be more right than others, there are things that CAN be completely and objectively right or completely and objectively wrong.
Because there are things that can be completely and objectively right or completely and objectively wrong, there can be absolute truth.
Because there can be absolute truth, NOT EVERYTHING CAN BE RELATIVE.

Hopefully my point here is clear
__________________
seriously
broknhabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 06:52 PM   #204
Baseband Member
 
crysalis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 69
Default Re: Favorite OS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt
Mirosoft have monopolised the market and good on them well done

also, i would love to see MAC, LINUX, UNIX infact everyother OS survive under the pressure that Windows gets

they wouldnt last a week

if everyone used MAC then it would probly destoy them, from pressure of expliots hackers viruses trogans everything you say that is wrong with windows

Lol.....I'm a certified PC/Mac techinician & Network Administrator...Left and right i get calls on crashed pcs and never once on Mac.... I've had my Mac for three years now and it has never crashed.....i also have a pc......Even with all the carefull handling i do to it.....It still crashes on me.....

The only credit I give Windows is their networking capabilities other than that....It is a very weak OS..... Plus 9 out of 10 pc users who blab about how much mac sucks have never even used one....

Macintosh systems are the standard for desktop publishing......Why is that, well my friend, Desktop publishing requires fast rendering and processing of video and audio multimedia.....Something Mac has perfected and Windows hasn't....Macintosh's shelf life is three times that of pc....And if you think the reason beind that is because PC's technology is always progressing, remember this all pc technology out today was being implemented in Macintosh systems year prior....Now when i think about it, Macintosh came out with 64bit processor almost two years ago.....PC's 64bit porcessor just came out les than a year ago.... Same goes with IEEE 1394, USB, and Java programming.....Oh yeah, the "new & powerfull" GUI standards being encorporated into Longhorn can be seen in MAC OSX Jaguar that was relese almost 2 years ago.....

In regards to Linux & Unix not being to handle what Windows handles.....*BWAHAHAHA*.......You certainly need to learn a thing or two.....


On a daily basis, i use both Operating Systems & know them both very well......When the day is finish, i still come back to my reliable BSoD-free Mac.....
crysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 07:04 PM   #205
Baseband Member
 
crysalis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 69
Default Re: Favorite OS?

On a final note......To quote Lord Kalthorn's signature "Make Love Not War"

If there can be networks where Windows & Macintosh can live together and share files and printers together..Why can't we do the same??

crysalis = hippie techinician
crysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 09:48 PM   #206
Baseband Member
 
Picklee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 35
Default Re: Favorite OS?

Windows (98) 98 was the best, barely any bugs if any
Picklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:29 AM   #207
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 12
Default Re: Favorite OS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD ZEN
Whatever, UNIX is superior to anything Gates will ever produce.
I guess you've never heard of Xenix? Though, MS didn't really produce it...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix
valan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:33 AM   #208
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 12
Default Re: Favorite OS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklee
Windows (98) 98 was the best, barely any bugs if any
That is completely wrong. 98 is very buggy compared to NT or XP, especially compared to 'real' operating systems (which does not include any version of Windows, btw).
valan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 08:58 AM   #209
Daemon Poster
 
iamroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 580
Default Re: Favorite OS?

I don't think the day will come when computers of any and all Oses can live together in harmony... Microsoft is seriously anti-competition. Don't even want to release the data of the NTFS filesystem, causing the huge delay in NTFS support in Linux.
__________________
Install GNU/Linux and be Free!
iamroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 11:42 AM   #210
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default Re: Favorite OS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by broknhabit
in response to everything being relative:

Absolute truth - a truth that is valid at all times, regardless of parameters or context.
if everything was relative, then there could be no absolute truth.
if there were no absolute truth, then nothing could be completely and objectively wrong or completely and objectively right.
if nothing could be completely and objectively wrong or completely and objectively right, then nothing could be any more right than anything else. (because there would be no real definition of what is right or wrong)
if nothing could be any more right than anything else, then nothing could be wrong at all.
if nothing could be wrong at all, then killing millions of people for the fun of it would not be wrong.

by saying everything is relative, you are logically leading to the conclusion that killing millions of people for the fun of it is NOT WRONG. but, as humans, we know this is wrong. that's why we try to punish those who murder other people.

As a restatement of my previous argument (based on the logical truth that: IF A -> B then NOT B -> NOT A):

Therefore; because killing millions of people for the fun of it is wrong, things CAN be wrong.
Because things can be wrong, some things are more right than others.
Because things can be more right than others, there are things that CAN be completely and objectively right or completely and objectively wrong.
Because there are things that can be completely and objectively right or completely and objectively wrong, there can be absolute truth.
Because there can be absolute truth, NOT EVERYTHING CAN BE RELATIVE.

Hopefully my point here is clear
Nah; nothing is absolutely true - just because nothing can be completely true doesn't mean there aren't levels of truth? So things can be more true than other things.

Killing Millions of people for the fun of it is wrong; doesn't mean its wrong all of the time - because 'for fun' is the situation which defines whether its right or wrong and Killing Millions of people can be right. Which means nothing can be completely and objectively wrong becuase nothing becomes that until it has a situation or a reason.
__________________

__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0