Favorite OS?

Itsme said:
Well, I'm not really stuck with it, but I just never have the time to spend partitioning my HD and installing it. Luckily I'm used to Win XP, and so I don't find it as bad as some of the other windows, but once i have time to download, partition and instal I will have it (I accidetally destroyed my RH which I had last :()

Itsme

Lol; well, good luck for you if you like that.

Mac is a joke!
Windows is a retarded OS! Though it might be powerful!
Linux is the best OS around, It never crashes, IT'S NOT MICROSOFT!!!, it is free, you get to change the source code to make it your own OS!!!, and did I say it's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FREE!!!@!@!@#!!!11!!1!1!!!@!>!>>!!!1

Big-J said:
Mac is a joke!
Windows is a retarded OS! Though it might be powerful!
Linux is the best OS around, It never crashes, IT'S NOT MICROSOFT!!!, it is free, you get to change the source code to make it your own OS!!!, and did I say it's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FREE!!!@!@!@#!!!11!!1!1!!!@!>!>>!!!1
Mac is not a Joke - it would have to be funny if it was a Joke. Its an abomination.
Hehe, you're so funny. Maybe that means you're a Joke? :p
I'm sure it does; you know what - you may be right there? :rolleyes: so is shit - but you don't pick it up and say its great; woah! What a wonderful thing to be able to do! :rolleyes: You won't be able to make any serious changes to it unless you are better than most people here ever will be; you know what? nobody cares that its free except people who like to freeload.

Denthúl said:
Linux!!!!!
Lol

linux is a general public license but you can buy distros from companies
if you like to throw away money or you can download the iso files so yes it is free but its also made by people who care and not the money hoarding microsoft.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Bill Gates is a brilliant Computer Programmer; he did program MSDOS and many other early Windows Operating Systems a huge amount - even now he is Chief Software Developer of Microsoft. I'm sure Linas was a good programmer, probably a great programmer; but the two were from different times.

Actually MS more or less bought QDOS (for $25,000) which was a 16-bit clone of CP/M. This eventually became MSDOS.

Funny all the things said in this thread. People who don't even know what open source and linux is comparing it to the devil. Linux has been around since 1991, that makes it 13 years now. Open source has been around longer than that. GNU started off in 1983. It too has only grown. If it truly did suck and will die as you say, then surely it would not be getting bigger and stronger, and be considered such a great threat to Microsoft.

The reason Windows is so big is because of the marketing. I don't care to go into detail though, it gets long.

Linux really is more secure than Windows, no matter what you think or how you add up your numbers. How much more depends on how you have it all set up. But if you want the best security, neither os will do.

The stability and reliability part of Windows differs greatly depending on your experience, your hardware, and what you use it for. People who use Linux are likely to use it for over a year before seeing the kernel crash. I've personally been using Linux for 6 years, and it's only crashed twice. One of those crashes though was with a beta type kernel.

Linux runs on lots more machines than Windows probably ever will.

By the way, his real name is Linus Torvalds.

I only see 3 reasons to use Windows. First, for the games. People make games for Windows because everyone uses it. Although more and more people are making it easier to play good games on Linux. Second, some people don't have much choice to use it, maybe because they are paid to use it or can't find a substitute for a specific piece of software. Last reason, some people just like that moronic feeling Windows gives you.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Yeah - but not instantly like Windows with Windows Update. You have to download and install a different Version.
It's easier though to go to the nifty update tool thing and tell it to automatically update as soon as they are available. Re installing is for newbies and Windows users.

i'm typing this on a mac :)

from what i've seen: mac is cool but it boils down to how much you like bsd since thats what it really is. i use bsd everyday and the high it gives me.....oh man, nothing like it....

linux is cool, but BEWARE of the crazy distros that appear time to time. there are over 200 distros available. i think, based on popularity, that most people prefer linux over bsd.

windows used to suck by has slowly improved. now if windows is better than linux in general, i seriously don't know. but for specific applications (many of which have been mentioned many many times in these forums so i won't list them here) one may be preferable over the other.

Haha, I have no time to answer all of that... but I've had almost 10 years now without a Kernal Failure on seven main machines, six different Windows Versions and god knows how many computers in total.

Then again... my mate has had three in his seven years... so it does vary a reasonable amount. Most of those were probably his fault anyway - he just doesn't like looking stupid :D

Back
Top Bottom