External HDD Not Showing Space

BK_123

Golden Master
Hey guys. So my Western Digital My Passport 500GB External HDD is not showing how much space is available in Windows and I don't know why. Other drives show how much space is available but its just this drive. Why would this be and what can I do fix it, I've tried formatting it and looking through its properties in the device manager.

Forgive me for being a grave digger but I am having this same problem yet again. I am tempted to move all the data and format it but want a second opinion.

Could be an issue with the enclosure potentially? Can you remove the drive and try fitting it directly to the PC and see if that solves the problem?

If fitting it directly to your PC fixes the problem, just go out and buy a new external USB HDD enclosure and stick the hard drive in it! :)

I have that same drive BK and have had no problems with it like you describe. If you don't use the USB safe to remove tool it will give you fits next time you plug it in though.
It could also be your USB port isn't providing enough power for it to operate correctly. Try a powered USB hub. And be sure you use the safe to remove USB device tool before you yank the plug out.

Back
Top Bottom