external hard drive won't work

vicjova

Solid State Member
(My original post was about what I need to purchase in order to transfer documents from an old computer to a new PC)
I finally bought my external hard drive: SEAGATE BACKUP PLUS Slim.
but i get this alert on my computer:
this device can perform faster connect to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port.
but then i am told: no Hi-Speed USB host controllers installed on this computer.
then I get a second alert:
cannot install this hardware: Seagate BUP Slim BK USB device. An error occurred during the installation of this device, one of the filter drivers installed for this device is invalid.
Do I need to purchase additional items to make the external hd work, or do I return it and buy something else, flash drive, or cd-rw? The guy in the store say the flash drive might not be able to hold large amounts of data. Keep in mind the old computer has no Internet connection.

Have you tried going to the manufacturer's website to download the drivers for Windows?

PS: if you mention an older post, it would be wise to link it so people can understand what you are talking about.

As AMD man has said a link would have been useful.

Having said that it looks your USB drivers are corrupt on your computer. Problem is that without any internet connection you will not be able to correct that easily.

Based on your original post, you bought the external drive to transfer files from your old PC to your new PC. Do you get the message on both PCs or just the older PC or just the newer PC? My guess is that you only see that message on the older PC.

If you connect the drive to the computer and nothing happens, one of several things could be going on: your hard drive might have a problem, the correct software or drivers are not installed on your system, or there is something not working properly with the operating system. Let's start with some common problems and their solutions.

Search for guides and follow the instructions to see who is out of the box. Guides in the majority are simple and easy

If both are desktop PC's and it's a single time documents transfer, I suggest removing the source HDD from the old computer and connecting it to the new PC temporarily to transfer the documents then return it back. This would be the fastest way to transfer the documents.

Back
Top Bottom