Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
xxcobraxx

Default Re: Explorer.exe is malfunctioning! Help!

[BootSkin Startup Jobs] "C:\Program Files\Stardock\WinCustomize\BootSkin\BootSkin.exe" /StartupJobs

Wincustomize could be the problem as it messes with your whole registry.. pretty lame if you ask me

Old 11-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #12
Fully Optimized

The start menu not working after ComboFix is common. You just need to right click the task bar, go to properties, then click the Start Menu tab, then Customize, then click "Use Default Settings" and it should restore the start menu back to where it was. (It's actually a trojan that does it, but Combofix doesn't fix this part)

Also, you can check your own hijackthis log by inputting the entire file or uploading it to HijackThis Logfileauswertung and they give you the results for you to see yourself.

Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #13
Baseband Member

The hijackthis log looks pretty good. Download this tool and run it, don't delete anything though without posting the results:

Norton Rescue Tools
nathandg2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:56 AM   #14
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by og View Post
The start menu not working after ComboFix is common. You just need to right click the task bar, go to properties, then click the Start Menu tab, then Customize, then click "Use Default Settings" and it should restore the start menu back to where it was. (It's actually a trojan that does it, but Combofix doesn't fix this part)

Also, you can check your own hijackthis log by inputting the entire file or uploading it to HijackThis Logfileauswertung and they give you the results for you to see yourself.
There's no use default settings button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandg2006 View Post
The hijackthis log looks pretty good. Download this tool and run it, don't delete anything though without posting the results:

Norton Rescue Tools
Did what you said, but can't upload or open the log. Please advise!
grullborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:57 AM   #15
Baseband Member

found out that the problem of not being able to look at the log is because iexplorer.exe isn't working either! Please advise!
Old 11-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #16
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Have you tried what I suggested?

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #17
xxcobraxx

don't mean to sound rude but you skipped what cele and I said or you never replied to it.

I'm not 100% but it could be your wincustomize, I remember couple years back I had stupid issues with it.. messed with my whole computer, try deleting it.. just reinstall if it isn't that.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #18
Baseband Member

You could just report what the found items were. To repair IE, reset the settings, open a run window, and type "inetcpl.cpl" without the quotes. Click on the advanced tab, and click the 'Reset' button. This should allow IE to work.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:52 AM   #19
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Have you tried what I suggested?
Yes I have, and it says: Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Please insert your installation disk now. As I said before, I don't have the disk because this is a second hand computer and came installed with Windows XP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InventD45 View Post
don't mean to sound rude but you skipped what cele and I said or you never replied to it.

I'm not 100% but it could be your wincustomize, I remember couple years back I had stupid issues with it.. messed with my whole computer, try deleting it.. just reinstall if it isn't that.
I am almost certain that it's not Wincustomise because I've had that installed for about 6 months now, and so far, I haven't had any trouble with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandg2006 View Post
You could just report what the found items were. To repair IE, reset the settings, open a run window, and type "inetcpl.cpl" without the quotes. Click on the advanced tab, and click the 'Reset' button. This should allow IE to work.
Just tried this, now IE opens, then automatically closes before it's finished loading. I tried the add-on free version as well, but, still not working.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:14 AM   #20
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grullborg View Post
Yes I have, and it says: Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Please insert your installation disk now. As I said before, I don't have the disk because this is a second hand computer and came installed with Windows XP.

I am almost certain that it's not Wincustomise because I've had that installed for about 6 months now, and so far, I haven't had any trouble with it.

Just tried this, now IE opens, then automatically closes before it's finished loading. I tried the add-on free version as well, but, still not working.
Definitely not a good sign. I will have to do research and get back to you on that.