exe issues

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
Ok I have a slightly weird one here.

My girlfriends dad called he had gotten the "antiVirus 2010" piece of garbage. He was able to remove it (or so he claims, I have yet to see it personally). Now when he double clicks any desktop icon/start menu link he gets a prompt asking what program to open them with. If he right clicks the links and icons and then clicks "run" they work fine.

I've seen this at school but our policy there is to just re-image the computer to save the students (and our selves) the time. Any one have an idea of where to start? Her dad is holding a reformat as a dire last resort option.

Reformat is the best option.

I've dealt with this several times and AVAST/Spybot were able to fix it. Malware Bytes will probably be a lot more effective than my beloved Spybot though.

Thanks lego. I'll pass on malware bytes to him.

And as a general update, I did have him run combofix and that didn't appear to do anything major. I did hear about avg's anti-rootkit tool helping this so I'll pass that along. Hopefully I can get you updated results in 24 hours. If these don't work, I might just have to drive out there and reformat.

Back
Top Bottom