Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Beta Member
Thumbs down Excel csv extension

I was working in a school a year ago.
The IT team asked us to submit marksheet as csv files, say student names in column 1 and marks in colume 2.
Then I submit it online and then they in return will print us report cards after gathering all csv files from subject teachers.

Can someone tell me briefly what the mechanism can be? Is it an Excel macro? Where can I learn these? Can Excel macro be a tool as a database developer / user platform?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Site Team
Default Re: Excel csv extension

If they asked you to submit it via .CSV then they are most likely not using excel to process the file. CSV (Comma Separated Values) saves the file as a plain text file. Each Row is separated by carriage return, and each column by comma. For example, I made a quick csv and opened it with notepad and you see this:

This makes it easy for them to write a simple program to take the data and process it for the grade report. As far as database entry goes, you would want to look at how your database is laid out, who would input data, etc. to determine how you want to bulk upload data. Microsoft Product to Microsoft Product and you can typically just copy and paste data around, but again, that largely depends on who and what you're going to be using the database for.

Humans are the only creatures that won't live up to the their potential. Give everything your all. When you die, die on E.

So I ask you, what do you intend to do now?
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Excel csv extension

Excel can read .csv files directly and separate the values into rows and columns, no macros needed.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote

csv, database, excel, macro, office