Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 136
Default Which Email Client?

I have Vista,and have M$ windows mail and M$ Office email (haven't tried the office email yet).I Used to use the Outlook Express on XP.

What email clients should I try out?
__________________

__________________
I heartily recommend Root-a-pedia! It's all I use. Never let's you down.
Juan handed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: Which Email Client?

There's nothing wrong with outlook express per se. If you're used to it then I wouldn't be against sticking with it.

If you want to change however, thunderbird might be a good and more fully featured alternative.
__________________

berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
 
cboucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,652
Default Re: Which Email Client?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
There's nothing wrong with outlook express per se. If you're used to it then I wouldn't be against sticking with it.

If you want to change however, thunderbird might be a good and more fully featured alternative.
First of all, I fully recommend Thunderbird as well with the addition of the Lightning option to have calendar/scheduling functionality as well (if you want that). Secondly, I wouldn't necessarily agree that there is nothing wrong with Outlook Express. It's kind of a virus/spyware magnet. Not so much because it's bad code or anything, but more because it's popular due to the fact that it comes standard on a large percentage of PCs sold with Windows. People that write viruses/spyware/malware want to cause as much widespread damage as they can. So of course, they are going to target applications that see the most use. This is also why I don't recommend using Internet Explorer unless absolutely necessary.
Another email client I've used and liked is Evolution. Lots of functionality, plays nice with Exchange for the most part, but only runs on Linux as far as I know.
__________________
But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.
cboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: Which Email Client?

Quote:
Secondly, I wouldn't necessarily agree that there is nothing wrong with Outlook Express. It's kind of a virus/spyware magnet. Not so much because it's bad code or anything, but more because it's popular due to the fact that it comes standard on a large percentage of PCs sold with Windows.
It's a fair point, and one that stands against IE as well (as you correctly pointed out.) However much we can slate Microsoft off sometimes though, they are pretty good at keeping up with security patches as and when they find them - and I do think a large part of the "security" game comes down to the common sense of the user. Don't open attachments from people you don't know and run them for instance, otherwise you might be hurt whatever email client you're using!

So yes, I see your point and it's a completely valid one. Personally though I wouldn't take it so far as to recommend people don't use outlook at all.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 136
Default Re: Which Email Client?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboucher View Post
First of all, I fully recommend Thunderbird as well with the addition of the Lightning option to have calendar/scheduling functionality as well (if you want that). Secondly, I wouldn't necessarily agree that there is nothing wrong with Outlook Express. It's kind of a virus/spyware magnet. Not so much because it's bad code or anything, but more because it's popular due to the fact that it comes standard on a large percentage of PCs sold with Windows. People that write viruses/spyware/malware want to cause as much widespread damage as they can. So of course, they are going to target applications that see the most use. This is also why I don't recommend using Internet Explorer unless absolutely necessary.
Another email client I've used and liked is Evolution. Lots of functionality, plays nice with Exchange for the most part, but only runs on Linux as far as I know.
OK,I'll try thunderbird.I have never had any kind of attachment to Outlook Express or such,prolly because I never did anything beyond read email and an occasional search thru emails.I want to expand on it's uses now,though.Sounds like because it is a little off the beaten path is a good thing security wise.

Question,I have old email on the other computer,most is garbage,but sometimes I'll run a search thru it to locate some info.I'd like to be able to import the whole archived mess over to the new email client on the new computer then deal with it.Can I do that?
__________________
I heartily recommend Root-a-pedia! It's all I use. Never let's you down.
Juan handed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
cboucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,652
Default Re: Which Email Client?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
So yes, I see your point and it's a completely valid one. Personally though I wouldn't take it so far as to recommend people don't use outlook at all.
I see what your saying. It's just that a lot of people who I've dealt with don't necessarily practice good surfing habits. Don't get me wrong, I use Outlook at work and don't have any problems. Of course, I'm really careful where I web surf and which emails I open. When I'm working on someone else's PC I try to steer them away from IE/Outlook Express just so that there will be less work for me in the future. I just don't like looking bad when I clean someone's system and have to come back a week later to do the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan handed View Post
Question,I have old email on the other computer,most is garbage,but sometimes I'll run a search thru it to locate some info.I'd like to be able to import the whole archived mess over to the new email client on the new computer then deal with it.Can I do that?
Unfortunately Outlook doesn't like to play nice with other email client apps. You know how Microsoft hates competition and all...
__________________
But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.
cboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 136
Default Re: Which Email Client?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post

If you want to change however, thunderbird might be a good and more fully featured alternative.
Are there any add-ons that I should explore or anything I should do to "pimp" my thunderbird?
__________________
I heartily recommend Root-a-pedia! It's all I use. Never let's you down.
Juan handed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: Which Email Client?

As cboucher mentioned above, the lightning option is a good one to have for scheduling stuff if you need that functionality.

Personally I'm not a whole big fan of the "pimping" stuff (why waste a whole load of resources to get it looking a bit different?!) so the answer from me on that front is a flat out no. Each to their own though...!
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 136
Default Re: Which Email Client?

Quote:
Question,I have old email on the other computer,most is garbage,but sometimes I'll run a search thru it to locate some info.I'd like to be able to import the whole archived mess over to the new email client on the new computer then deal with it.Can I do that?
Quote:
Unfortunately Outlook doesn't like to play nice with other email client apps. You know how Microsoft hates competition and all..
So,if I wanted to bring that mess over to this machine,I'd have to install OE and then?

The other machine had XP and had Outlook,this machine came with Vista and Windows Mail(an upgrade of Outlook?) just so you know.
__________________
I heartily recommend Root-a-pedia! It's all I use. Never let's you down.
Juan handed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
Fully Optimized
 
cboucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,652
Default Re: Which Email Client?

If you want to save certain emails in your new client, the easiest way may be to just forward them to yourself from your old client to a gmail account you create (or yahoo or hotmail, whatever free webmail app you like), forward them back from gmail (or whatever) to your original email address and then open your new client to receive them.
__________________

__________________
But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.
cboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0