Dual Booting: What?

hockeygoalie5

In Runtime
So, I have Windows 7 and I like it a lot. I was thinking of getting Linux and have heard all this jumbo about dual booting. Does this mean I can have both Windows and Linux on one computer? Boot them at the same time or just one at a time? Would be highly appreciated if anyone could go more in depth on this situation.

Yes, it means multiple operating systems can exist on one computer, though they aren't booted simultaneously. When you turn the computer on you will, most likely, be presented with a boot loader asking you which operating system you want to load.

Most distributions of linux these days will install grub and set it up for you - just be sure to check the correct options when installing.

Alright, before I screw things up...

I'm going to do Ubuntu, I'll download, burn, and install it. This will automaticly do the dual boot thing? (version 9.10)

Alright, before I screw things up...

I'm going to do Ubuntu, I'll download, burn, and install it. This will automaticly do the dual boot thing? (version 9.10)

As long as you select the option to install them side-by-side when installing Ubuntu. However, you might want to try Wubi if you're going to use Ubuntu, as it allows you t install and uninstall Ubuntu from within Windows itself.

http://wubi-installer.org/

If you do end up trying a Windows/Linux dual-boot, install Windows first, then Linux. If you install Linux then Windows, Windows will simply over-write the boot loader and not even give you a chance to list or select any other non-Windows OSes.

Back
Top Bottom