Dual boot with Linux and Windows??

Netbook Shopper

Solid State Member
Since I'm having problems with my current laptop, and I know it's that the HD is failing, it's more practical for me to just get a new computer. I'd rather just get a Netbook because my computer needs are mainly school (in class internet/word processing related) and be able to use my husband's desktop for at home use for everything else. His computer is running on linux currently, but not Ubuntu... some other linux. I don't know how to use linux properly and don't have the time with my classes to learn it, plus there are no drivers for any of our printers or other accessories to go with it anywhere to be had. Someone told me I can set his up to dual boot to linux or windows, whichever i want to use at the moment.

Can I set it up to do this myself without "messing anything up" if i don't have any programming knowledge? Can I do this without potentially losing all of his current files? Can I backup his linux files on my HP windows external harddrive successfully/properly?

I can't risk losing his files, so I need a sure thing. If it's a pretty big risk I'll just get a new laptop.

That one is for Ubuntu, most articles are for Ubuntu... I do not have Ubuntu, but some other form of Linux.

I need to know if this risks losing his files.

you can dual boot windows and linux very easy. Download the the version of linux you want and during the setup it will ask where you would like to install it. You would want to configure the partitions manually and use some of the free space only. With Mandriva you can actually do an auto partition or click the partitions you want to install linux onto. Also you would need to select the bootloader option so when you boot up the computer you can choose whether you want to run windows and linux. If you are really unsure of how to set up a dual boot I would recommend that you have someone that knows how to do it. I am only recommending this because you do not want to lose the info on your husbands computer and if you click or select the wrong option can lose all the data

I have ran dual-boot scenarios on a lot of machines, different versions of Windows, different versions of Linux and one thing that has always been true (in my experience, at least) is that you have to install Windows first before Linux. If someone else has been able to successfully install and boot Windows on a PC where Linux has been installed first please post and let us all know how you did it. Berry120, maybe?

That one is for Ubuntu, most articles are for Ubuntu... I do not have Ubuntu, but some other form of Linux.

I need to know if this risks losing his files.

The principle is the same. I personally would never give a 100% guarantee that you won't damage his files. Before you try anything of this nature it would be STRONGLY RECOMMENDED to back up all important data.

If you could have him back up all the files and then try, I'm really not sure how much harm you could do, worst case scenario you just reformat the computer, put his linux distro on it and restore the files from a dvd or something. If this scenario is unacceptable then I wouldn't recommend dual booting. Murphy's Law.

Back
Top Bottom